P68 pellet dropping noise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bigeclipse

Feb 8, 2017
NY
I know the pellet clinking noise just comes with the territory for these stoves but I just cant believe how annoying it is and why the manufacturers have not addressed it. It is incredibly annoying for me as my stove is in my living space near my bed and when we go to sleep we leave the bedroom door open for warmth and I can hear the dang clinking which is annoying but I will eventually get used to it. What blows my mind is in this day and age there has to be a better less noisy way. After my warranty runs out on the stove I might just take it apart over summer and see. If the pellets are falling rather far, then simply putting a highly flame retardant silicone pad where they land could help. I mean come on...silicones can now be flame retardant all the way up to 700F (maybe even higher) which I know this stove is not seeing that temp in that particular area. Anyways, just something I noticed in my first weeks use of my new stove.

I know the pellet clinking noise just comes with the territory for these stoves but I just cant believe how annoying it is and why the manufacturers have not addressed it.

They have... at least Harman has with the Absolute line. The auger pushes up to the burn pot. The only thing I hear is the intermittent auger motor hum.

I have a funny story about the clinking noise... when my father switched from 30 yr old Vermont Castings wood burner to the Harman XXV. I went to stay at his house for weekend and I was sleeping in a downstairs bedroom... I woke up to the clinking noise and thought it was my father mixing a cocktail at 3 am! WTF?

Mal

Reactions: bags
They have... at least Harman has with the Absolute line. The auger pushes up to the burn pot. The only thing I hear is the intermittent auger motor hum.

I have a funny story about the clinking noise... when my father switched from 30 yr old Vermont Castings wood burner to the Harman XXV. I went to stay at his house for weekend and I was sleeping in a downstairs bedroom... I woke up to the clinking noise and thought it was my father mixing a cocktail at 3 am! WTF?

Mal
Yeah I am now regretting my purchase. We went to 3 dealers and all 3 suggested we stay away from the absolute lines as they are much more difficult to work on and they get 3 times more maintenance/warranty calls and issues with them so far. Maybe I can have them exchange to the new absolute 63...

Interesting info coming from your dealer. I looked long and hard at all brands and all models within the brands that I narrowed it down to... Quadra - Fire and Harman. Obviously I have experience with the XXV at my father's house... I wanted the least amount of maintenance. I peel off quite a bit in the winter months to feed my addiction (snowmobiling) so it had to be as easy to run as just adding pellets for 10 days to two weeks. I've run a half a ton through mine... and the only thing I've done is scrape the burn pot... not because it was running any different... I just wanted to. I clean the glass about once a week.

When I went to the dealer to buy my stove, I made him pull it all apart so I could see what I was up against if I had to change an auger motor or combustion blower. None of the common failure items are what I would classify as difficult to replace.

Another interesting thing about this stove... I got 20 bags of Hamer Hot Ones (a respected pellet) thrown in... once I went through those, I started buying 2 or 3 bags here or there. Home Depot, Lowes, Southern States and now Trae Fuels. I have noticed zero difference in how the stove runs with different brands of pellets. This tells me I can find the cheapest pellets and run them (which I did... just bought a ton from Trae Fuels for $180.)

Mal

Jeez.. watching that video.. it sounds like a jet plane!! It is not that loud... we can easily carry on a normal volume conversation standing right next to it.

Heat output is killer... I can't keep my hand right at the blower output when it is cranking like that. If you listen very carefully, you can hear pellets dropping... but it's not a clinking or tinkling like the XXV. You hear the auger motor buzz far more clearly.

Heat output is killer... I can't keep my hand right at the blower output when it is cranking like that. If you listen very carefully, you can hear pellets dropping... but it's not a clinking or tinkling like the XXV. You hear the auger motor buzz far more clearly.
Yeah this sound is like dropping peanuts on an empty tin can. Not crazy loud but definitely louder than the auger motor. Just grinds my gears they steered me towards this. I wonder if they will let me exchange...it is only two weeks installed. Even if I have to pay some money.

Interesting info coming from your dealer. I looked long and hard at all brands and all models within the brands that I narrowed it down to... Quadra - Fire and Harman. Obviously I have experience with the XXV at my father's house... I wanted the least amount of maintenance. I peel off quite a bit in the winter months to feed my addiction (snowmobiling) so it had to be as easy to run as just adding pellets for 10 days to two weeks. I've run a half a ton through mine... and the only thing I've done is scrape the burn pot... not because it was running any different... I just wanted to. I clean the glass about once a week.

When I went to the dealer to buy my stove, I made him pull it all apart so I could see what I was up against if I had to change an auger motor or combustion blower. None of the common failure items are what I would classify as difficult to replace.

Another interesting thing about this stove... I got 20 bags of Hamer Hot Ones (a respected pellet) thrown in... once I went through those, I started buying 2 or 3 bags here or there. Home Depot, Lowes, Southern States and now Trae Fuels. I have noticed zero difference in how the stove runs with different brands of pellets. This tells me I can find the cheapest pellets and run them (which I did... just bought a ton from Trae Fuels for $180.)

Mal
most differences are in the amount of ash left as opposed to how it runs which shouldn't be any different regardless of pellets.
might be lot dirtier also depending on quality of pellets.

Yeah this sound is like dropping peanuts on an empty tin can. Not crazy loud but definitely louder than the auger motor. Just grinds my gears they steered me towards this. I wonder if they will let me exchange...it is only two weeks installed. Even if I have to pay some money.
have had a P61A for 4 yrs now... i hear the pellets drop and have slept very sound in same room at times.
not loud at all to me..rain on a mobile home roof was far more noisier and annoying..

have had a P61A for 4 yrs now... i hear the pellets drop and have slept very sound in same room at times.
not loud at all to me..rain on a mobile home roof was far more noisier and annoying..
Yeah I don't know if it's me being OCD or what not but it's been hard for me to fall asleep the past few days.

Yeah I don't know if it's me being OCD or what not but it's been hard for me to fall asleep the past few days.
did u just recently get your stove?
guess we are all just used to the pellets dropping.
like people who live near Railroad tracks and half the time never hear the trains go by [to the amazement of others]...

did u just recently get your stove?
guess we are all just used to the pellets dropping.
like people who live near Railroad tracks and half the time never hear the trains go by [to the amazement of others]...
Yes. Installed 2 weeks ago. The first week was not bad because it was warm and we had our bedroom door shut. This last week however has been so cold that we needed to leave our bedroom door open a crack and now I can clearly hear the pellets where as before the door muffled it. Also do to the colder weather the pellets were dropping more often. This has literally made me stay awake the last few nights. I've been now taking zzzquil sleep aid to help. I'm actually not a light sleeper at all but falling asleep can be difficult for me when random sounds happen. Sleeping with the tv helps a bit.

It sounds loud.... but it's really not. I should have spoken during the video for reference. I'll try and do another one with some other ambient noise.

Mal

I don't mind the tinkle of pellets at all. The blower gets annoying by the end of winter. It's funny, in Sept I'm anxious to get the stove going, by April I'm anxious to shut it down. But it never ever interferes with my sleep but not much does anyway.

Reactions: bags
I don't mind the tinkle of pellets at all. The blower gets annoying by the end of winter. It's funny, in Sept I'm anxious to get the stove going, by April I'm anxious to shut it down. But it never ever interferes with my sleep but not much does anyway.
YEP..
That just about describes how most of us feel....
I would think sleeping next to a wood crackeling fire would be annoying..

YEP..
That just about describes how most of us feel....
I would think sleeping next to a wood crackeling fire would be annoying..
My stove is off right now. I went to TSC to grab a few bags today for another week or two of burning and they were sold out. They said the news of the cold snap brought in a bunch of people. Two weeks ago they had 20 pallets left. The only pellets around right now are LG or Energex for $6.50 a bag, tSC was $4.79. Oil is now $1.99 here and days are warmer and I just cleaned the oil burner last weekend so the stove is off. If TSC gets in some more I'll buy a few but otherwise I am done burning for this year.

If you were closer, I'd hook you up with a few bags... I just snagged a ton and loaded it into my garage.
Oh that's fine, I'm just too cheap to pay the $6.50 a bag LoL ! At least for those brands. But I must say I already miss the fire and warmth in the living room tonight !

Yes. Installed 2 weeks ago. The first week was not bad because it was warm and we had our bedroom door shut. This last week however has been so cold that we needed to leave our bedroom door open a crack and now I can clearly hear the pellets where as before the door muffled it. Also do to the colder weather the pellets were dropping more often. This has literally made me stay awake the last few nights. I've been now taking zzzquil sleep aid to help.

Mal
called the dealer and they said they would speak to the owner and see what they could do. If they can do some sort of deal for the absolute I may do it depending on additional costs. Is there anyway you can try and record pellets feeding noise? I would hate to trade it and it's still noisy? Is it really that much less noisy than that xxv? Also what size home do you heat and at what temps are you keeping the house at in the main area the stove is located? Thanks!

My stove is off right now. I went to TSC to grab a few bags today for another week or two of burning and they were sold out. They said the news of the cold snap brought in a bunch of people. Two weeks ago they had 20 pallets left. The only pellets around right now are LG or Energex for $6.50 a bag, tSC was $4.79. Oil is now $1.99 here and days are warmer and I just cleaned the oil burner last weekend so the stove is off. If TSC gets in some more I'll buy a few but otherwise I am done burning for this year.
wow..
still burning here....
don't exspect to stop till few weeks from now...
although probably won't be burning 24/7 to the end as weather here is starting to ease up during the days.