P68 pellet dropping noise.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
wow..
still burning here....
don't exspect to stop till few weeks from now...
although probably won't be burning 24/7 to the end as weather here is starting to ease up during the days.
I'm not cleaning the stove up though, I may grab a few bags now and then. That more expensive place always has LG pellets and they tend to be pretty good pellets. I can't see $6.50 for Energex after paying $4.79-$5.19 for other pellets just as good all winter long. I'll probably count it done for the season in April, the second week or so.. Depends on the weather really, tonight is supposed to be pretty cold but then we have a warming trend, maybe some rain coming.

Edit: Hah, I went out and bought Energex softies today, I couldn't stand it this morning when I got up. It was too hot upstairs and too cold down, it was still dark out and no glow in the living room. I thought, screw this, I'm getting pellets today. But funny, I got to the place and inside smelled like smoke bad, they said their own stove backed up and was belching smoke this morning. I looked over, it looked like new venting, when I went outside I thought no wonder. This was 3" vent with 4 90deg elbows and about 15 ft of straight pipe sections at least. They came off the stove and went up about 5 or 6 feet, to a 90 through the wall, then a 90 to more pipe up another 10 ft or so and a 90 to a termination thing of some sort. Every joint had smoke stains ! I told the girl, "your venting is plugged". But it's worse than that even.

Last edited:
I think you will find the Absolute to be less wood stove like in terms of radiant heat than the P68. On the other hand it probably has a more powerful blower and it is of course beautiful to look at. It's funny, many of us in the forum have commented how the pellet tinkling noise is reassuring, it's a comfort to know all is cycling well etc. Really it's just a background thing at that. The first time I fired the stove up I heard the sound and just wondered if it was normal because I had not noticed it on the P43 in the store demo. I rationalized what the sound was that first night, might have inquired here about it and have been happy with it ever since. I would have had to had a lot more reason to turn the stove back in for another. And it heated the house so well that first night I was a convert in the first 24 hours.

Is there anyway you can try and record pellets feeding noise? I would hate to trade it and it's still noisy? Is it really that much less noisy than that xxv? Also what size home do you heat and at what temps are you keeping the house at in the main area the stove is located? Thanks!

I will video the stove starting up tomorrow for you.

Yes... it is much quieter than my father's XXV.

My house is 3400 sq ft. I have the remote room sensor on a wall about 20 feet from the stove. The kitchen will be at 76... the great room and the rest of the down stairs is at 74. Consistently. The upstairs is 68. The best part of the stove is the programmable control. I set it to let the downstairs drop back to 66 at night and 5 am back to 74. It fires up and warms the downstairs. Sooo nice to come down to a warm area first thing in the morning.

Mal

Last edited:
I came from an OWB which I heard nothing at all to my P68. At first I did think everything was noisy. Now I seem to pay no attention to it. I am happy with mine and doing cart wheels about no longer dealing with firewood vs. dumping a bag of pellets.

I also hear the pellet jingles and that is no longer annoying. As mentioned it is a reassuring sound that things are operating normally. Our 68 is in the living room where we spend time. It does compete with the TV volume at times. More so the distribution blower but that can be dialed down if needed.

It did take some time to get used to all the noises. After that it is just unnoticeable background noise or noises I no longer pay attention to. Kind of like hearing rain or possibly crickets while in a tent at night.

I came from an OWB which I heard nothing at all to my P68. At first I did think everything was noisy. Now I seem to pay no attention to it. I am happy with mine and doing cart wheels about no longer dealing with firewood vs. dumping a bag of pellets.

I also hear the pellet jingles and that is no longer annoying. As mentioned it is a reassuring sound that things are operating normally. Our 68 is in the living room where we spend time. It does compete with the TV volume at times. More so the distribution blower but that can be dialed down if needed.

It did take some time to get used to all the noises. After that it is just unnoticeable background noise or noises I no longer pay attention to. Kind of like hearing rain or possibly crickets while in a tent at night.
agree..the sound of jingle is the sound of AOK.:cool:

Reactions: bags
The noises I can tolerate. It is all about the easy heat I am all in for and happy about. That cancels out some of the noise issues.

Sounds like buyers remorse to me
damn straight! I asked the question a few times to the dealer about noise and they said yes...it has a blower it will be noisier than a woodstove without a blower. The blower doesn't bother me at all. It is very consistent noise and not all that loud. They NEVER stated once about jingling sounds of pellets nor did they even try to sell me on "quieter" stoves. Unfortunately they also did not have any of their stoves running so we couldn't hear them in person. They simply said (we always recommend the most powerful which is a P68...you can always turn it down if too hot). Our house is a 1600 squarefoot 2 floor house with about 1000 of that on main floor and 600 on second floor. The ceilings are extremely low (6ft 8in). I wish I had done more research as we likely could have even went with something in the 50k BTU range.

To everyone else who says they are used to it...this stove is literally 18ft from my bed (not bedroom but my bed). Our bedroom opens into our living room where the stove is and the stove sits literally across the room from our bedroom door. We cannot shut the door or the bedroom temp drops into the 50s. The blower does not bother me one bit but the jingling of the pellets does. I do not see how anyone can get used to it as it is so random it is just like a battery failure chirp in a smoke detector to me lol. If it were a consistent jingling then maybe I could get used to it. honestly it is LOUD. It is not a faint jingle. This is now 1.5 weeks of terrible sleep for me.

I will video the stove starting up tomorrow for you.

Yes... it is much quieter than my father's XXV.

My house is 3400 sq ft. I have the remote room sensor on a wall about 20 feet from the stove. The kitchen will be at 76... the great room and the rest of the down stairs is at 74. Consistently. The upstairs is 68. The best part of the stove is the programmable control. I set it to let the downstairs drop back to 66 at night and 5 am back to 74. It fires up and warms the downstairs. Sooo nice to come down to a warm area first thing in the morning.

Mal
look forward to the video. Does the stove supply all the heat or do you have other sources of heat helping out?

look forward to the video. Does the stove supply all the heat or do you have other sources of heat helping out?

I have two heat pumps, one for upstairs and one for down. The downstairs heat pump is completely off. The upstairs will come on at 5:30 am and bring the temp up to 68. We let it drop back to 62 at night. After that the stove will maintain 73 down and 68 up all day.

Here is a long boring video of my stove firing up. Scroll through the boring parts and you can see what my downstairs looks like.

[youtube]

You can hear the pellets dropping when it is filling the burnpot... once the stove is fired and the distribution blower is running you can't hear the pellets dropping.

You can hear the pellets dropping when it is filling the burnpot... once the stove is fired and the distribution blower is running you can't hear the pellets dropping.
Thanks for the video. I will say the absolute looks much better and the electronics are pretty neat. However, it seems to have just as loud pellet dropping as my p68 but the p68 has more of a sharper tin kind of noise when the pellets trickle. Not sure this would be an improvement to my issue. I will see what the dealer finds out for me today.

I fall asleep on my couch 10-12 ft away from the stove in the same room all the time. My wife sitting in a chair right next to the stove knitting. The radiant heat coming off the stove has always done this, coal did the same thing, which of course was silent. If you're this sensitive to little noises, a pellet stove of any manufacturer may not be your thing at all. We are all made differently LOL!

If you can find a shop that has them running, I would go... If I am 10 feet away from my stove when it is running, all you hear is the distribution blower.

I fall asleep on my couch 10-12 ft away from the stove in the same room all the time. My wife sitting in a chair right next to the stove knitting. The radiant heat coming off the stove has always done this, coal did the same thing, which of course was silent. If you're this sensitive to little noises, a pellet stove of any manufacturer may not be your thing at all. We are all made differently LOL!
I very well could be sensitive. Also it could be your video. If this stove pellet dropping is definitely quieter than an xxv then it will be quieter than mine because my inlaws have an xxv and mine is about the same noise level

I very well could be sensitive. Also it could be your video. If this stove pellet dropping is definitely quieter than an xxv then it will be quieter than mine because my inlaws have an xxv and mine is about the same noise level
It's not my video but that's ok.

We all have different frequencies we hear well at or over hear at or can't hear at all at . As I age certain sounds that never bothered me actually are startling now, just not the pellets dropping . That sound might be right in a range that just bothers you, that simple. It obviously does, what ever the cause.