P68 venting issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wallyjk

Oct 17, 2019
VT chimney
When does the exhaust fan start on a Harmon p68 stove? Before it lights up or after. I'm getting smoke in the house right before it lights up. Thank you for the help!

Check your seals on the exhaust pipe
Smoke is common on startup.
Just before the pellets light, they smoke
Seal all exhaust pipe connections with tape or RTV

Reactions: bags
Thanks for the advice. I think that I need to replace the pipes with better quality ones. Question though, does the exhaust fan start with the stove or after the stove is lit?

Exhaust Fan AKA combustion fan starts as soon as you hit the start button

Check your door rope gaskets too just to be sure about them. Probably bad connections on the exhaust vent though. My P68 starts to smoke just before the fire ignites and it can fill the box with smoke but it is quickly exhausted. At startup check that your exhaust / combustion blower is kicking on an the red light on the control panel is on.

Also might make sure your exhaust patch is clear. Any blockages in the exhaust passages or pipe or termination will slow the smoke down and cause leaks. Damp pellets or dirty burn pots can cause extra Smokey startups too which can cause leaks. Also, old pipe leaks.