Pacific Energy new Install

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Maj92az

Sep 26, 2020
N Idaho
Hello. Settled on a freestanding Pacific Energy. Complete new location in my home. New pad, new chimney, new everything.

This will be my first install and while its alot of money I will be focusing on safety and workmanship...

I'm sure I'll have many questions and I'll refer back to the thread as time goes on but first chimney parts. Local I can get most Durvent. Even my stove store usually sells it too but it's out. But.. if anyone knows Durvent well maybe they can help.

Directly to my stove, will Duravent double wall "DVL" attach to my 6" stove? I assume I'll get a 60" telescope piece. Now comes my ceiling support.. does a DVL doublewall pipe connect to Durvent ceiling support? Will I need an adapter? Then comes my Class A. I have read all Durvent Class A will connect to their ceiling support. I can find all but an adapter locally (if it truly needs one). May need an offset too. I've yet to poke my ceiling.

Any advice here or knowledge on Duravent. Thx

My system is all duravent, seems to be good stuff, as for install though I'm not 100% sure as I paid to have mine installed.

That being said I was in my local stove shop last week and they are experiencing long wait times to get duravent product, well into many months wait times for certain items. Seems to have been caused by Covid affecting manufacturing. Not to push you to something else but makes sure you can get all the components you need before you start work on it.

If you haven't already download the duravent catalog, I've had a look through it a few times when I had questions on stuff, seems to have much of the info you are looking for.

My system is all duravent, seems to be good stuff, as for install though I'm not 100% sure as I paid to have mine installed.

That being said I was in my local stove shop last week and they are experiencing long wait times to get duravent product, well into many months wait times for certain items. Seems to have been caused by Covid affecting manufacturing. Not to push you to something else but makes sure you can get all the components you need before you start work on it.

If you haven't already download the duravent catalog, I've had a look through it a few times when I had questions on stuff, seems to have much of the info you are looking for.

Yes I've gotten that feeling.. I could buy the main parts but if my items aren't right or compatible .. worst case I return them... I guess what throws me off is many manufacturers have many lines of different items and obviously must stick with one and each part needs to connect and be the right set up.

Yes I've gotten that feeling.. I could buy the main parts but if my items aren't right or compatible .. worst case I return them... I guess what throws me off is many manufacturers have many lines of different items and obviously must stick with one and each part needs to connect and be the right set up.

Duravent's catalogs are pretty good for this, if you can figure out what product line your local shop carries use the catalog to collect all your part numbers.

But I'd get a hold of your supplier first, my stove shop sells "kits" that include all the adapters, through wall fittings, flashings, ceilings supports etc needed depending on each customers type of install. They then add or subtract the correct number of class A lengths and then do the same with interior lengths and fittings to get the correct setup.

I referred to their website and purchased 2 items that were the last two available at the store. Even an online vendor was sold out. So I'm getting closer.

I am installing double wall, and the inner duct that fits inside the chimney top. It is crimped. Says in manual if it fits, set it directly on the stove. If stove too small says install a adapter. My question is does this appear normal (pic). It is overlapping about an inch MALE end down into the stove. Certainly has bottomed out beyond the crimp. Although there is a half inch gap.. the screws wont go in tightly. Actually not long enough either. Does everything sound kosher so far? The duravent manual mentions attaching screws on every step but does not mention is while discussing the stove collar. If screws are not needed, wish it would say to confirm.

Attachments

• Pacific Energy new Install
    20201024_190233.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Hopefully somone else can help you out with that. My system uses Duravent Duratech Canada for the chimey, but my interior double wall stove pipe is ICC Durablack. As such my interior stove pipe looks much different.

Yes that looks good, as long as its a snug fit and the inner portion enters the stove collar (this allows any dripping creosote to end up back into the stove rather then the outside where it will make a smelly mess. Now throw 3 screws in to secure the dvl to the stove pipe. BTW the 60" telescoping dvl is absolutly awesome, I love mine, the best part is, unlike single wall telescoping pipe, the dvl still slides easily during cleanings 3 years later, just a great product in general.

Thanks guys. I called duravent (who had tech support call back in under 5 mins) they also said it's ok. I called about other things too. :)

Next question, my chimney will be really close to my eave. So the attic space is about 15" inches or less. I have a 24" long ceiling support (was on clearance extra $50 off?) .

I'll need to trim my box of course otherwise I'll have 12 inches or so sticking out of my ceiling. Only need 2" so my question is how would you guys reccomend I trim it.. do I just cut it high enough to meet the roof decking? When i purchased the stove, I recall an installer mentioning something about if possible, bend tabs on the excess box and use as additional support. Of course I have a metal roof with probably 2 ridges that'll meet my hole. Have you seen this down? It would be nice and clean if there was no metalroofing panel yet and nice tabs were bent in. Otherwise I could cut the box where the ridges are and only put tabs on the flats.. but.. is any of this necessary? I have a good framed in 10.25" support at the ceiling as it calls for. Also while I got you here and advice or tips on installing my flashing on a metal roof.

Thx