Pacific energy small pilot flame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Aelk799

Jun 5, 2018
Ontario
Trying to diagnose my small pilot flame issue. I believe that’s the problem of the pilot not staying on. I’m trying to remove the pilot hood so I can get access to the pilot orifice. I’ve removed the spring clip at the base of the pilot, but nothing seems to budge.

Anyone ever work on these?

I’d like to try cleaning or replacing the orifice before moving onto the thermocouple.

Unit is a Classic Gas/Super Gas 27. Running on propane.

0C784825-5022-430A-9777-8FD75931E0AD.jpeg
5E193475-EAA4-4B2A-941B-63034CD8D01F.jpeg
5E193475-EAA4-4B2A-941B-63034CD8D01F.jpeg
A5B75792-0529-4BBB-A4CF-84C8B435E90C.jpeg
Q
7BE48CCA-39F3-4BDC-A1DF-558A5A560EEE.jpeg

Has this unit ALWAYS burned LP? The "candling" of the pilot flame
is an indicator of an NG pilot orifice...
Can you post a pic of the front of the unit's gas valve?
There should be an adjustment screw labelled PILOT.
If it's adjusted all the way up, Then I'd say there's either a blockage or the
wrong fuel pilot orifice is in there.
You should be able to pull the hood straight up once the spring clip is removed,
LP has moisture in it & the upper piece may be rusted in place.
May take a little effort to get it apart.

Yes unit has always used LP. The unit is at our summer house so I can’t get you a photo of the valve. I’ll take a look. And give it another try to remove the pilot hood.

Thanks.

pilot assembly should be available through any PE dealer, their item number is PERP.5009157 (for NG, as they only supply it that way) and PE5009.169 (or new sku 80002120) is the LP pilot orifice.

I'd agree with DAKSY that the t'couple is likely not suitable for much more use, combined with the fact that there is a blockage of some sort in the assembly it makes the most sense, and is the best value to replace the entire assembly.

As for the hood not separating when the clip was removed, I have seen this far too often, mainly on LP, but possible on either fuel - the two halves of the pilot hood just fuse together over time. I've broken a few trying to pry them apart.

Thanks. The unit is at our summer home so I’m not able to look at it. From what I recall, there’s some sort of sealant at the point where the thermocouple wiring, ignitor wiring etc moves through the bottom of the firebox to the area below where the controls are. What is that sealant?

Thanks. The unit is at our summer home so I’m not able to look at it. From what I recall, there’s some sort of sealant at the point where the thermocouple wiring, ignitor wiring etc moves through the bottom of the firebox to the area below where the controls are. What is that sealant?

And is the replacement of the pilot assembly a diy job? Can you provide some simple instructions. Thx

This sort of repair should be done by a qualified Technician.

pilot assembly should be available through any PE dealer, their item number is PERP.5009157 (for NG, as they only supply it that way) and PE5009.169 (or new sku 80002120) is the LP pilot orifice.

I'd agree with DAKSY that the t'couple is likely not suitable for much more use, combined with the fact that there is a blockage of some sort in the assembly it makes the most sense, and is the best value to replace the entire assembly.

As for the hood not separating when the clip was removed, I have seen this far too often, mainly on LP, but possible on either fuel - the two halves of the pilot hood just fuse together over time. I've broken a few trying to pry them apart.

Got a quote on the parts. $180 Canadian.