Pacific Energy Super Insert Blower Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sigepsb

Sep 20, 2014
Northern California
One of my blowers failed this winter and I was supplied one under warranty (they will not install). I finally got around to installing it and just ran into a significant problem. The wires on the new motor are both black, with no markings. The wires on the old motor were both white with no markings. The wires coming out of the control box both appear black (more on that later). There were no instructions or wiring diagrams with the new motor. I should have waited until next week and tried calling PE, but I had the stove apart and convinced myself polarity must not matter.

I hooked up the new motor and turned it on. It fired up fine. Curious, I swapped the wires and 'POP' from what sounded like the control box. The other motor no longer works either, I assume because the control box is fried. I should have left well-enough alone. Damn. So, I disconnected power and opened up the control box. It just contains the rheostat and switch- no fuse. I must have blown out one or both. The wires going to the blower motors actually are white and black, but are both painted black outside the box (from when they painted the stove). This still leaves me with the problem of the motor having two black wires with no markings.

Has anyone had anything similar happen? I think the part I need is SPND.4583 [Control Box Assembly]. I found a wiring diagram in the manual, but it appears to show two left side motors. The actual motors are not the same, but rather mirror images of each other, so I don't know if that would actually mean the wires are not really left/right, but rather inside/outside and thus reversed. Bonehead move on my part, but any additional suggestions?

I think I managed to answer my own questions through some troubleshooting, so I'll share in case anyone ever is unfortunate enough to search for this in the future.

It looks like I blew out the variable speed fan controller switch, from having the wires reversed. When I bypass it, both motors work fine, as does the the Auto/On switch. This is apparently not too bad of news, as the exact piece, by the same manufacturer is readily available from two major online retailers at a very reasonable price. So, you don't have to buy the whole control unit. The piece is made by KB electronics and is Model# KBMS-13BV.

It appears the white wire, from the control box, goes into the left side of the both blower fan motors, despite that the actual parts are mirror images, but the diagram shows two left side motors. So the white goes to the outboard side of the left motor and the inboard side of the right motor. At least it seems to work this way for me. Both the old and the new motors have two of the same color wires coming out (old motor white, new motor black), but the wires coming out of the control box are actually different colors. If yours look the same, either open the control box and look inside or see if you can scrape the black paint off of one. A bit of scratching with my fingernail, and sure enough, one of my wires was actually white. Stupid move, but looks like I got out of it cheap.

Great news that it was an easy (and cheap) fix. Thanks for posting your troubleshooting and fix for it. It'll come in handy for someone I'm sure down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk