Paint peeling from the face of our FP30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rogerius

Jan 15, 2019
Grey County, ON
As title said the paint start peeling from the face of our 2 years old FP30 fireplace exposing the metal as shown in the pictures below. Wondering if I need to concern about, is this covered by warranty or just buy a can of high temp paint an spray "the beast" face?
Anybody with Pacific Energy FP30 with this "symptoms".
Mention that no issues observed in the 2 seasons which we have it other then is "hungry" for wood all the time.
Appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks.
1618951527025.png1618951626484.png1618951673575.png

Looks like it needs a retouch. Sand the area lightly with 120 grit, then 320, then 400 or fine steel wool. Vacuum all the dust and wipe down, then clean well with alcohol. I think they use Stove Brite, but I would contact PE tech support and ask what brand they used and what finish. Mask off the surrounding areas well. Open the windows and put a fan in one to exhaust the fumes. They are nasty.

Wire wheel, clean and paint the entire thing with a couple light coats. Do not need heavy coats.

As title said the paint start peeling from the face of our 2 years old FP30 fireplace exposing the metal as shown in the pictures below. Wondering if I need to concern about, is this covered by warranty or just buy a can of high temp paint an spray "the beast" face?
Anybody with Pacific Energy FP30 with this "symptoms".
Mention that no issues observed in the 2 seasons which we have it other then is "hungry" for wood all the time.
Appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks.
View attachment 277997View attachment 277999View attachment 278000
I have the same unit, similar experience with wood consumption. She does heat well though and doesn't coal up at all. I was going to try and cut the bottom plate slot (for the air control) on the right hand side so I could shut down the air more. I load it to the max with large splits and rounds before work in the morning. Burn time is about 6-7 hours.

I have the same unit, similar experience with wood consumption. She does heat well though and doesn't coal up at all. I was going to try and cut the bottom plate slot (for the air control) on the right hand side so I could shut down the air more. I load it to the max with large splits and rounds before work in the morning. Burn time is about 6-7 hours.
Mike, can you send me a picture with what you did? I was looking under the unit through the front grill and the bottom plate is covering complete the air opening when the lever is moved all the way on the left, so not sure what you did on yours.

Mike, can you send me a picture with what you did? I was looking under the unit through the front grill and the bottom plate is covering complete the air opening when the lever is moved all the way on the left, so not sure what you did on yours.
I haven't modified mine yet. The idea was to be able to close off the air more by increasing the size of the control lever opening slot.