Painted the stove wrong :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You will scratch it you know. The paint is going to clog the crap out of the paper. You could use wet/dry sandpaper but not sure how that would work with a palm sander?
A good paint will hopefully cover the scratches?

I would sandblast it. Second choice would be a wire wheel. But I have never stripped a steel stove. I have done a lot of steel parts though.

Maybe someone else can give you a better answer on the sanding.

Well paint stripper won't work because it says to use it if it's more then 18 Celcius outside, and it's about 13 now. I used the palm sander ahaha, figured why not? It didn't sand everything off just took off the shine really. Guess maybe I should try and paint it and since it is outside fire it up tomorrow and see.

i have done several things to heat up stoves in cold weather in order to paint them effectively including rolling them into the driveway and burning a quick small fire in them, sticking a portable electric heater in it and running it for a while, and also using a Wagner electric heat gun (paint stripper?) to warm it up.

since you've already painted it then that is a different situation but i would at least try to heat the stove up to allow the paint to dry and see how it comes out before doing anything crazy like stripping it down. i've also used the heat gun to dry paint faster that needs some help - just don't put it so close to the paint and wave it back and forth. it will just dry before your eyes and not strip off.

EDIT: i just read your last post which said you have already tried sanding it. i guess i don't really understand what you were trying to do so i'll butt out but leave my comments in case anyone is every trying to paint a stove in the cold.

Well, I sanded the stove and then applied a thin coat of the flat black about an hour ago, and it's drying really good now! And it looks awesome, can't wait to fire it up. :) Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.