pallet compost bins!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just out of curiosity would laying a clear tarp over the top increase the composting speed ? I would imagine the heat being held in might help !

Pete
Not sure Pete as I think air helps the process.. I plan adding air pipes so I don't have to turn it and see how that works.. Right now all new material are going into the empty bin for future use.. The squirrels love visiting the compost bin which is no big deal..

Ray

Tarp will not help. The compost generates its own heat and needs air. I have covered a pile with cardboard to shed excess rainwater when it was saturated already. Too much water and it will go anaerobic- slows down and smells horrible.

Reactions: Pallet Pete
Tarp will not help. The compost generates its own heat and needs air. I have covered a pile with cardboard to shed excess rainwater when it was saturated already. Too much water and it will go anaerobic- slows down and smells horrible.
Good info thanx AP! Do you turn your compost and if so how often or do you use air pipes? Seems the air pipes are a good idea and keeps the operation low maintenance..

Ray

Just out of curiosity would laying a clear tarp over the top increase the composting speed ? I would imagine the heat being held in might help !

Pete
I increase the heat on mine by wrapping the outside of the pallets with clear plastic & covering the top.
It also helps hold in moisture. With the air pies, the pile still gets air.
Kind of a Green House for compost, temp is one big key to speed & cooking the weed seeds. 140° to 150‚ is seed killing range.

I have a compost bin in the garden with GH plastic on the outside (on the 3 sides that get sun) & I cover it too. Before I made these improvements it took me 2 years to get "done compost".
Now I get a batch of compost ready to use in 12 months. Your area should be faster as mine does freeze solid by mid Dec & I have to get it cooking again when I can get some fresh green grass clippings to mix in it to get it hot. Next month I should b able to mow the grass & get the bin "cooking" again.

4' X 5' X 4' high solar heated compost bin:
100_1956.JPG grdn bn full.JPG
Emptying to the compost storage bin in August to get ready for a new batch.
09 grdncmpst 2.JPG

Air pipes I put in about every 14 to 18". (Now I make them out of the gray plastic elect conduit, tougher material & last longer)
compst.JPG

Reactions: raybonz
Very nice work Dave! You have this down to a science..

Ray

I never used air pipes, but they're not a bad idea. My pile gets to over 150F (have measured 165) without wrapping it in anything.

I turn after it runs through a hot cycle- it will heat up again. I do this to kill and weed seeds that didn't cook the first time. I use compost in the garden before it's "finished" as it will finish in the garden. In fact- most compostables get used as layers of mulch that just compost in place (I have also used lasagna gardening- the easiest, lowest water, no tilling, no weeding, no pulling up grass way to start a garden, IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.