pallet wood nails?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike821

Hearth Supporter
Nov 3, 2010
Bridgewater NJ
I have spit some untreated..clean pallets for kindling. I was wondering if I should pull the nails or just use them as they are now cut up. I only use the pallets for fire starters..I know they can cause an overfire if used by themselves.

I found pulling all the nails and partial nails to be too much of a bother . . . I just used the pallets as I cut them up . . . but made sure to dispose of the ash well away from any place where I would possibly run over it with a tire. I tried sifting through some ash to pull out the nails . . . but kept missing some . . . now I rarely use pallets, but when I do that ash gets brought back into the woods where the chances of running over a nail is lessened.

When I burned pallets I burnt the stuff with nails and without nails in separate batches. Then I could throw the nail ash out into the trash and use the clean ash on the yard.

Matt

If they are steel nails a good sized magnet pulls them out of the ashes rather well.
A screen works too but is really really messy.

I let the fire pull them out.

Unless a few are loose or pull easily,I just bend them over,cut around them & toss them in the fire.

I burned a lot of pallets in my kiln until I realized that the nails were eating into the firebricks in the floor (probably not an issue in standard heat woodstoves).

They got welded together into cool sculptures with black iron oxide crystals on them- very pretty. The ash was just dumped- nails and all- on an area growing poison ivy. I think this has knocked it back quite a bit.

I use a magnet on a string for nails, pass it over the ash and up pop the nails.

Easy Peasy :)

A.P.

What kind of temps. do you see in that nicely rebuilt kiln of yours?

P.J.

PS - I'm always looking for a good coffee cup! (hint-hint)

PJF- 2375 F is typical high temp. I get to 2300 and keep it there for 8-12 hours. The ash melts onto pots at that temp, but the firebox is a bit cooler than that- the wood gasifies and the gas burns in the ware chamber.

I hope to update the shop soon!

I burn a fair amount of pallets, I think you would go insane trying to remove all the nails.
I just burn them and throw the nails out with the ashes.

A.P.

Yeah, I guess at 2K +, those nails would make nice sculptures! I get nervous when the smoke dragon pushes 1.5k on the stack! Been checking your "store" weekly, but nothing new; please PM me/ let US know when you update your inventory!

PJ

PS: The wifes' girl friend does some pottery up in Pt. Jefferson, LI; but with a nat. gas fired kiln in the back of their shop/retail store.

Mike821 said:
I have spit some untreated..clean pallets for kindling. I was wondering if I should pull the nails or just use them as they are now cut up. I only use the pallets for fire starters..I know they can cause an overfire if used by themselves.

Another good effect of tossing ash with burnt-out nails & staples in the woods, at least as reported in the NE USofA, is that the iron supplement is a valuable nutrient for trees rooted in those iron-deficient soils. I've no idea how much is enough.

Nice to hear the OK on the pallets. I have always burned some here and again to get by. I recently picked up 12-15(lost count) and I am burning them as I type this. I never knew about this place and didn't care what people thought about my wood pile. It is good to know I'm not the only one :smirk:

Status
Not open for further replies.