Papa Bear (I think)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hillbilly549

Oct 8, 2019
West Virginia
New to the site and new to wood stoves myself, although I grew up around them. Tons of good info comes up for this forum while doing searches, so thought I'd join the party and possibly learn something.

Picking this up Friday from a craigslister for....$225. Seems like a good deal. They weren't sure, but by the dimensions they gave me, it's Papa Bear I assume. Any ideas on when this one would have been made?

imagejpeg_1.jpg

Reactions: Todd67
It is a Papa Bear; (Mama would have little to no front sheet showing at the sides of door. They use the same door, and Papa Bear being wider has space from door to angle iron)
The spring handle, intake dampers, and short handle length are indications of an early one. It would be from the Dunn Brothers if it came from Virginia or West Virginia. They started making stoves in 1975 and changes were made to the above mentioned parts by 1977. Probably 1975 or early '76 since changes were starting in '76 and this one has all the older style parts. Of course the old parts were used up before newer 5 fin caps, later course wound plated steel springs, and longer handles were used. That is why many will have a mix of parts as they went through changes.
It doesn't look used hard at all and looks like original paint. Firebrick inside will tell the story. Anything under 300 you did great!

It's not a normal thing welding the plates to the bottom of front legs, could have had legs cut down for on a hearth under mantle........ Looks a little strange. Not a big deal.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your Papa Bear!

Reactions: Hillbilly549