Particulate entering room from Enviro Meridian

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

O_Pellet

Jul 31, 2019
BC
My Enviro Merdian is blowing out soot into the room. I cleaned the stove and replaced both filters on the convection and combustion fans (cost over $100 Cdn) and nothing has improved.
I also discovered that the pipe had fallen down due to a rusted connection and got that all fixed. Why would there still be fine particulate blowing out into the room? I'm running out of cough drops :eek:

You have a leak somewhere between the burn pot and the chimney termination point in the house.
such as Ash pan seal, door seal heat exchanger, combustion blower, chimney, clean out T
chimney connections . Any smell of smoke when fist lighting the stove?

I want to revise what I wrote above
Your leak is between the combustion fan and the
termination point in the house of the chimney. That is
the only area that is pressurized and would blow fine
ash into the house. The rest of the stove is in a vacuum
air being drawn into it Seal the pipe joints and the cleanout Tee

I have silver heat tape wrapped around the stove adapter. I cleaned out the pipe that vents through the chimney and the Tee and there are no leaks. It's a fireplace install and there's no fresh air intake vented to the outside. Is that important?

I have silver heat tape wrapped around the stove adapter. I cleaned out the pipe that vents through the chimney and the Tee and there are no leaks. It's a fireplace install and there's no fresh air intake vented to the outside. Is that important?
Do you have a flexible liner or a pipe stuck up the chimney? If it’s not all the way to the top and capped off fly ash will come down, get pulled into the convection blower and blow into the room.

What he said

There's a flexible pipe that goes all the way to the top and it's attached to a chimney cap. Is it important to have a block off plate or seal plate?

There's a flexible pipe that goes all the way to the top and it's attached to a chimney cap. Is it important to have a block off plate or seal plate?
Yes. Fly ash or anything else can come back down the chimney and get sucked into the blower. Spin one side of the inert out and see if there fly ash in there.

Nothing behind the stove but it must've all blown in under the pellet stove(!) I'll look into getting a plate. What's the best way to attach it to a metal liner? Are machine screws okay?

There is an adapter T with a clean out and I just cleaned it out thoroughly. I also cleaned out the combustion blower fan as well.

I figure that the problem must be with the fresh air intake because the particulate smell is really bad when the convection motor starts up.

The set up I have is like the diagram below except that I don't have a fresh air intake and no seal plate. The diagram is from the owner's manual.

EnviroMeridian.jpg

I didn't use a sealant, the T fits tightly to the flue so I must've overlooked that. Thanks for letting me know. Would silicone work? The local store has some that is good up to 315C

Local auto parts store should have Permatex Red, it has a higher temp rating (up to 650 degrees F intermittently I believe). Unless that really is 315C which gets you right around 600 degrees F.

Yes that silicon you got is the right stuff
Remember guys he is from the Great White North
Temp is read in celsius in Canada
315::C is 599::F

I found a place that sells the Permatex Red, so I'll use that. Should I put the sealant on both ends of the T as marked in red? I put machine screws and silver heat tape to attach the T to the flexible pipe.
EnviroMeridian.jpg

Yes

Also, tape the cleanout cap
if you use the permatex it will be hard to remove the cap