Q&A Parts for Federal Airtight Dutch West India?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I inherited a wood stove...a Federal Airtight Dutch West India. From articles on Hearth.com, I realize that these aren't the best stoves as far as quality goes, but it was free, and I have always wanted a stove. I will certainly purchase a newer model when I am able to do so, but right now I'm stuck with this stove as winter approaches. However I was hoping that you could tell me a little about the stove....the older woman that owned it literally tried to burn it up....she burned off what I believe was the heat shield on the back wall, and some other part on the sidewall opposite the door. Can these parts be replaced? What exactly were they? Also, there is a lid on the top of the stove that at one time had a temperature gage on it that is now missing. On the inside of that opening there may have been some sort of filter or shield that was burned away, what was that, and can it be replaced? Would any product stores still carry these parts? Would Majestic Products be a possible source....the stove was built in 1983? I would really appreciate any information that you could give me. Thank you so much.

Answer:

Your stove was made overseas...probably Taiwan, before the company was taken over by Majestic. There is very little chance they will have parts. Your best bet for parts would be: Black Swan at: http://www.blackswanhome.com/

or Woodsman's at: http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/

make certain you mention the age of the unit (pre-Vermont castings or pre-majestic)

Link: Black Swan Home, Hearth and Gift

Link: Woodsman's Parts Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.