lmholmes11 Posted By lmholmes11, Aug 15, 2019 at 3:11 PM

1. lmholmes11

lmholmes11
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    I'm currently using an outside wood boiler, however I am considering switching to a pellet furnace. I found a used Harmon Pellet furnace, with a new auger motor, new blower motor, price is $2,000. Is this a decent deal? Also where can you get parts if needed for them since Harmon doesn't make the furnaces anymore? Thanks guys.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2. Overfireinthehole

Overfireinthehole
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

May 5, 2017
    Loc:
    Miller MO
    You can still get parts from a Harman dealer. A lot of the parts on the Harman furnaces are interchangeable with the Harman stove parts, and the rest are still available. That’s not a bad deal if it’s in good shape.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    lmholmes11 likes this.
  3. Former Farmer

Former Farmer
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 12, 2008
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    Check and make sure that the burn pot doesn't have any bubbles or cracks in it. I have the boiler version and this has been an issue with the boilers.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    lmholmes11 likes this.
  4. lmholmes11

lmholmes11
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Thanks guys. So you all think it would do well in my house? I know it's hard to guess because there are a lot of factors. I have a 2200 sf ft main floor, and 2200 sq ft finished basement (which I heat sometimes). Live in a windy area and my windows aren't the best. The one I'm looking at has the 1600, 3 speed blower

5. Former Farmer

Former Farmer
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 12, 2008
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    I think that you might be alright. Like you said, there are a lot of factors. With it only rated up to 112,000 btu, you may not be able to keep up during the real cold, windy weather. What type of pellets are you planning on burning? You may want to use a little higher btu pellet during the real cold.

You may be surprised on how many pellets you will burn. My PB105 boiler can easily go through over 160# a day during the real cold.

What else are you going to use to heat with? Did you check with your insurance company about an indoor pellet furnace?

6. lmholmes11

lmholmes11
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 27, 2014
    Loc:
    Northern Michigan
    Wow, that's a lot of pellets per day. Now I'm rethinking a pellet furnace lol. It would be hardwood pellets. What are you heating with your boiler?

7. Former Farmer

Former Farmer
    Feeling the Heat 2.
    NULL

Apr 12, 2008
    Loc:
    NE Wisconsin
    In-floor heat in basement, floor warming in master bathroom, in-floor heat in attached garage, water to air exchanger in forced air furnace, hot water. 3500 sf house and 1400 sf garage. Garage is set to 40*. Just to keep it warm enough to melt snow off of vehicles overnight.

lmholmes11 likes this.