Patch Oslo stove cement now or wait til spring?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ansehnlich1

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2006
Adams County, PA
Hey I shut down burnin for a spell....too warm here. Anyway, cleaning out the Oslo, found some loose joint cement here and there, 2 corner chunks that can be lifted out, I put 'em back in and they fit snug, don't think it would cause an overfire, not in my setup anyway.

Should I pull these pieces out and patch 'em now?

Should I pull 'em out, put some rutland cement in there and then fit 'em back in?

Should I forgettaboutit and fire that puppy up as is?

I mean, this cement ain't crumblin, it's actually two pieces that fit snug where they are, a day or two of fire and they'll be sealed up with ash.

What say you?

I say the firebox is in negative pressure so air doesn't escape and plug holes, it is sucked in and keeps them nice and clean.

Stick some furnace cement in place of the stuff that fell out.

Ya, well, I got some Rutland Chimney Sweep FSC. I went into the Oslo and dug out all the loose stuff, and it was ALL loose too. It was at the seams on the left and right where the side meets the bottom of the stove, inside the firebox. Factory slopped from front corner to back corner, and all of it was loose.

I dug it out, wire brushed it, used an old paint brush to get all the soot and stuff outta there, vaccumed it a couple times, wetted it down as per directions, and then went to work. I stuffed it into the seams first with my fingers, like working with mud ya know, and then I smoothed it out with a small putty knife, adding a bit of water to it to make a smooth surface.

I'm gonna let er dry a couple hours then build a small fire as per instructions on the product.

Sounds like you have that one under control.

i would not worry about it it is most likely the excess cement that came out. the joint is still sealed those big chunks you see are just excees cement the cast pieces fit tight realatively tight you should be fine.

I suggest Oslo owners check the inner fire box seams where the sides meet the bottom of the stove. I easily removed all the factory stove cement as it was all loose along there, and when I did, I found I could see daylight through the corners, so I know I was sucking air in at a few places.

Anyway, I re-sealed with the Rutland Chimney Sweep Stove Cement, packing it in there good, and smoothing it off real nice. It's set up now and I am convinced my stove is operating better along with the door glass seeming to remain cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.