PE Spectrum and Fire Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n1st

Jun 3, 2007
Enfield, CT
Some of my original pumice bricks are pretty worn down after 2 years - especially the side ones. I've read that the pumice insulate better (provide a hotter fire, allow the close-to-wall specs), but does anyone actually buy them from PE? How much did they cost?

My local stove store that isn't a PE dealer said I'd have to get them from PE - I guess most stores don't carry pumice bricks.

If I replace some with standard $3 brick, where should I use the good remaining pumice bricks - around the back and sides near the wall? Does the bottom get the least heat abuse?

On page 3, about half way down you`ll find a thread by fossil,,,"Standard firebrick splits" it has most the answers you are looking for and some insight regarding clearances and warranties, hope it helps

Oh yes,,,if you happen to end up with mixed type bricks,,,other threads have noted that the bottom bricks beeing covered with a layer of ash may not necessarily have to be up to par with the sides or back bricks.(just one mans opinion however) if memory serves.

Thanks, I've ready the thread, but it's not anserwing all my questions.

I understand that pumice is best replacement for pumice. I don't see much on-line and local dealers don't cary the pumice.
I'd like to hear from someone that has replaced their pumice bricks with pumice. What did it cost you? Where did you get them?

I realize `I`m not that person,,for as slow as it is now you might want to keep this thread up front to find him or her.The threads I followed from long time members, all say Dealer only item. Being a mined mineral,,its not far fetched to assume they have engineered their own casting, for these bricks. Or an air tight disclosure clause from a supplier.

You're right about the bricks, they're even a fraction smaller than standard fire bricks, which means that if all I used were standard bricks, they wouldn't fit. Hmm, how the heck do you sand down a brick?

I ended up putting half fire bricks on the bottom and using the bottom ones that were in great shape along the sides. This will get me through another year, but then I'll need the real thing.

Any PE dealers out there that can comment on price and availability?

Status
Not open for further replies.