PE Spectrum Classic Baffle issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

griz6

Hearth Supporter
Feb 17, 2010
KY
OK let me start by saying I'm a newbee. We've had our stove about 6 weeks. Just noticed that it appears as if my baffle is a little outa place. IF I remember right when we first got it and I looked up there it seemed to be about 3/4" space at the front. Now looking up there it seems about a 1.5" and I can see some insulation leaning that I don't remember. I am thinking the whole baffle may have gotten pushed back a little when trying to slide that last split in there for an overnight burn. Before even looking on here or in the manual i tried to just pull it back toward the front, no luck wouldn't budge. Then pulled the pin on the back wall and tried again, wouldn't budge. Then took a look at the manual, doesn't say much. Did a search on here, didn't find much. So any advise?

If I mange to get it out is it hard to get back in? The manual says something about an air tube, where is this, how do i line it back up. Does anyone have pictures or a drawing of what it is supposed to look like.

HELP!!

The baffle should not be moved forward and it should not move back. It sounds like it is in the proper spot, since it didn't budge when you tried to move it. The baffle is being held by the rectangular baffle tube that protrudes into it (the rectangular vertical tube in the back of the firebox that separates the back firebrick). If the pin is able to connect from the baffle hole to the firebox hole, then the baffle should be in the right spot. There should be space in the front, between the baffle and the firebox, that allows for the normal combustion air/exhaust flow.

How does the baffle sit on the side rails? It should be sitting flush on each rail and the front should line up parallel with the front of the firebox (with a gap between the two). If you fill the firebox too full or a piece of wood contacts the baffle, the front can lift up, or shift to the left or right. In these cases, make sure the baffle is seated properly and take care not to do it again.

You should not have to take the baffle pin and baffle out, unless you are sweeping the chimney/liner. When you do take the baffle out, you will likely have to replace the baffle gasket (since they are extremely fragile), with another PE one or a homemade job like Hogswildz's using a piece of stove gasket.

I hope this helps.

seems to be sitting even as far as left/right. front is parallel with front of firebox with about 1.5" or little more gap between baffle and front of fire box. if it sounds like its in the right spot great. should the insulation be leaning/drooping just a bit at the front where the gap is, its almost as if there isn't anything there to hold it up so gravity is taking over. Or maybe that insulation needs to be nudged backwards a little. I don't remember it being like that when I first got the stove.

There shouldn't be any exposed insulation except at the siderails. The main ceramic blanket is enclosed inside the baffle box by a stainless top cover.

Is this a new or used stove? Can you post a picture of the area(s) of concern?

Stove is new. After reading these posts I went to the dealer after work to check out a floor model. It looked like mine, so just as you guys said my baffle is correctly placed. However the insulation next to the side rail seems suspect. The floor model at the dealer had exposed insulation in the same place as mine but it wasn't drooping down. I explained to the dealer and she didn't seem concerned. My insulation seems to have expanded and drooped where as the floor model is of course compact and not drooping. My concern is the glowing edges of the insulation when I've got a good fire going. Although it doesn't ignite [i'm sure it can't] day after day i think it will break down over time. I am going to try to post a few pictures. what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_06002.jpg
    IMG_06002.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_06052.jpg
    IMG_06052.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 302
  • IMG_06072.jpg
    IMG_06072.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_06092.jpg
    IMG_06092.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 267
Looks fine. It's at the siderails. Give it a season and it will be all grey.

Thanks for the reply. Guess I'm just paranoid about what I don't know yet. Not to metion the fact that I don't want to mess up my new stove. Anyway thanks for confidence boost. -griz

I agree.. the side mineral wool insulation will not be uniform on those edges, it gets a little willy-nilly on ya, especially after you remove the baffle and replace it... I like to tuck mine folded in 1/2 down the length and put the baffle in favoring one side, then the other to ensure a tight pack aginst it. But, then again, sometimes I don't care to mess with it, and it all works the same: just awesome. It just depends on how pretty you want it to look next time you reach in it to clean the whole system out. (once a year when you clean the chimney/pipes, maybe 2x to get the flyash off it, but it still ends up the same.. just awesome.)

Status
Not open for further replies.