PE Summit insert (C) -door gasket and door handle questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

donmac

Jun 3, 2015
Cincinnati Ohio
Going into my sixth year of operation and did the dollar bill test around door gasket and bill pulls out with just a little resistance in most areas. Also see a little wiggle in door handle and it is not as hard to close as when new.
Looking for users with similar stoves to tell me if I am soon to need a new door gasket and/or new handle assembly. Regarding the handle, I am not sure of what wear I should see on the washers and retaining pin. The new assembly shows 4 washers and 1 pin included with the new handle. I do not see the need for a complete new handle assembly , only new washers but that is why I need input.
Also the best prices I can find are $50 for new gasket and $80 for new handle assembly. Are these reasonable?
All help appreciated. Thanks

It's probably ok for another season. It doesn't sound like a new door handle is needed. It's ok if it wiggles a little. A new OEM door gasket will make the latch snug again, or you can tighten up the door latch a little with a couple of gentle taps on the top of the V receiver on the stove body.

If the door is adjusted too tightly, the washer against the inside of the door will wear into the cast door at that spot. If there is no significant wear spot there, then you just need a new door gasket.