PE Summit questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pyroboy

Oct 18, 2015
northwest ohio
Hello Everyone im a new member to the site, but have been reading from here for awhile. Love all the great information. My two questions are regarding my new "B" series summit im running for its first season. First off, no problems with heat or operation, love this beast. When the stove is not in operation I can hear the ebt flapper constantly flapping around making annoying sounds with the wind outside. Is this normal? If it is, its quite annoying since the stove is centrally located on first floor. Second question is, when the stove is cooling down from cruising temps to reload temps I hear a few kind of loud pops and bangs. Im assuming its metal contracting somewhere. Just worried about the steel stressing over time I guess. I traded a Regency S2400 for the new Summit this year and this thing is just a totally different animal. Thanks for any replies

I have two summit stoves in my house and both the series b stoves. There are some noises on warm up and a few on the cool down, there seem to be more on warm up than cool down. The flapper does make noise with wind, I never cared for it's constant flapping in wind conditions. So when a stove is not in use esp. in the summer I just leave the door open an inch or two to break the draft when not in use. Just my idea.

Thanks for the reply...glad to know mines not the only "flapping" summit out there, lol. As for the way that EBT works, it seems to me if its constantly flapping due to draft increase with wind over the chimney, wouldn't it be open the entire time a fire is burning, which is increasing the draft anyway?? While I understand its intention, it seems like a chinsey design maybe? maybe i have it wrong. Cant say I ever hear it flapping during a fire though

I don't know if it does a lot for extend burning, but I may have heard it at times with high winds during a fire. My one summit is going on it fourth season and it has not worn out yet. Over all has been a good stove, I just installed a second one in my lower level about a month ago.

Yeah other than that annoying racket it makes at times, I do in fact love this stove so far. Really dumps some serious heat when you want it

Make sure if you leave the door open some to break the draft esp. in the summer make sure you have some sort of bird guard on your cap. ( don't ask me how I know)

omg...what a pleasant surprise...lol. yes my chimney cap has a nice screen around it

Mine pings and dings at times when heating up or cooling. I thought it was my flue pipe joints but guessing it's the stove now. I haven't noticed the ebt flapper when the stoves out but I've only had mine just over a week and it's barely been out since the install. I went from an ancient Lakewood to the PE summit and couldn't be happier so far. So much more efficient I can't believe it and ten times easier to regulate temperature. I wish I'd upgraded years ago.

Regarding pings and pops - I have a similar but older free standing T6, installed ~ 2008. Initially the pings and pops were a concern, but over time I believe I feel as though they have decreased significantly. Some are from the stove, some from the stovepipe.

I actually used the noises initially to learn when the stove was getting up to temperature and/or cooling down and would adjust the air control accordingly.

No comment on the EBT flapper as I have an older version, that I have left intact and not covered up as some other users have reported.

Funny that's exactly how I've been using those pops and pings too. Audible cues to how the stove is operating.

ya I suppose I do too...when I hear the loudest noise mine makes, its time for reload. I guess you can say it lets me know when its hungry lol

Status
Not open for further replies.