PE Summit rear casing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xikar

Feb 25, 2013
Connecticut
Good morning Fellas,

I finally have some time in my schedule to be able to get my insert installed. While getting everything together and looking over the stove I noticed the rear casing has two rectangular holes cut into it approximately 3" x 2". I read through the entire manual and can not find any reference to them and what they are for. It has two small metal covers for these holes but they are both open from the factory... Anyone know anything about these? I assume I can just close them up as the only purpose I can see them serving is to heat the masonry firebox and flue.

Are these the holes in question? Capture.JPG

If so, it looks like they are shroud vents. I haven't seen this before but would expect them to be closed. Have your dealer confirm, but I can't think of another reason why you would want these open with stove venting to the fireplace cavity. Maybe it is for when the body is used in the ZC config of the FP30? If you don't get an answer, contact PE tech support.

Are these the holes in question? View attachment 107855

If so, it looks like they are shroud vents. I haven't seen this before but would expect them to be closed. Have your dealer confirm, but I can't think of another reason why you would want these open with stove venting to the fireplace cavity. Maybe it is for when the body is used in the ZC config of the FP30? If you don't get an answer, contact PE tech support.

Yup! Those are the holes indeed. I figured somebody on here would know as at the time when I was deciding on my insert it seemed alot of people recommended the Summit and had experience with it. I would tend to agree that they need to be closed as there is no real reason to have them open that I can tell. Guess I'll call tech support for the hell of it.

Thanks for clearing that up Tom. It sounds like they should be clearly labeled and instruction added in the manual.

Carry handles for a five hundred pound stove. "Honey, should I bring the Summit this weekend?". >>

Am glad to have this cleared up. Not having seen anything in the manual about it and as it shipped with those panels open, I figured they must have had a reason to leave them open and assumed it was to draw any heat out of the back of the fireplace into the room, so I left them open. Now I think that not closing them only reduces the heat output into the room leaving more heat in the fireplace and cabinet needlessly.

Hmm, must be the new style. Mine had 2 smaller round holes each side that had metal handles latched into the holes. I pulled the handles prior to sliding it in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.