Pear Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
This week my neighbor is taking down a good size pear tree. He will be giving most of the wood to yours truly. Has anyone ever burned pear wood? If so, how is it? Should I try to split it right away or wait until spring? How long will it take to season? I am going to point out a knarly crab apple tree he has as well. Anyone burn crab apple wood?

If you can, get the pear (and apple) split asap, get them seasoning.

Both quite dense and burn well here, flipping hard work chopping when dry, although only come across pear once in a blue moon.

Crab Apple..... yes, have some in the store and looking forward to burning it. I'd give both a year minimum, better 2 to be on the really dry side.

And if you happen to burn wood on your barbeque, applewood is our favourite for cooking pork......

Make sure you go outside and smell your smoke when burning, pear has a lovely aroma, possibly better than apple ;-)

Get it split & stacked & it should be ready in a year.

Quite hard & dense,difficult to split in large pieces.Very similar to apple & crabapple,just a bit lighter color. Definitely worth it as fuel & in smoker or BBQ grill.

I'd grab all I could get.

Is it ornamental pear? If it is, it burns well. Splits relatively easy & seasons pretty quick. It has a unique
Smell when it is burning (maybe just me). I have never burned orchard variety of pear. Would imagine
That burns good. Crab burns nice, can be tough to split. I have a few pieces I'm saving for colder weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.