Pellet decisions....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newf lover

Minister of Fire
Jul 17, 2008
Eastern CT
I am a self-confessed Turman junkie. Unfortunately I may be not able to get them this year. Still waiting to hear from CJs. If I can't, I am entertaining other brands. If I can't get my favorite, I am really looking at the money factor. If I stick with CJs I will probably go with Country Boy White Lightning. There is however a local place who have the nicest people, but lousy choices of pellets. Their price for the following is $269 which includes delivery. Ready? The choices are Instant Heat, New England, Big Heat, and Independence. The savings between this place and Cjs is about $100 if I buy 3 tons. The delivery is a killer for me for CJs. Does anyone have any experience with Big Heat or Independence? There is almost nothing on this forum on Big Heat, and a little on Independence. I still have a ton and a half of Turman to get me through the really cold part of winter.

Independence burned ok in my harman. However I hated the smell of them. Without the bag open they smelled a bit solventy. If you are close enough you could look into pellets direct, I buy from the barefoots rock. I bought american wood fiber softwoods for th8s year. Or I also believe ctpellt on this forum covers the most of the rest of ct. Good to support the forum supporters.

I will check Pellets Direct out. CTpellet is clear on the other side of the state. Wouldn't want to guess what delivery would be, their delivery calculator won't even work when I plug in my zip. I'm still holding out hope CJs has Turmans waiting for me.....Thanks for your input on the Independence.

Those are not great prices fir those pellets....I have never burned Big Heat and agree that Independance is the best of the bunch....NEWP can normally be found at the box stores for around 209 under the name Green Supremes

CTpellet is clear on the other side of the state. Wouldn't want to guess what delivery would be
No need to guess......There is a great office staff there and they would be more than happy to help you. I happen to know them personally! :rolleyes:

Reactions: Lousyweather
This is the reason I stress to try all that is available in your area JIC. You just never know when this kinda thing will happen. I have burned all but the big heat and would say that the CountryBoy is about the best you have listed. Pretty close to Turmans in my heap. A tic more ash and pretty close in heat.

Independence(AKA Potomac) would be my second choice. But they probably won't be all that appealing with you being extremely spoiled by the Turman's IMHO!

Give CT a call JIC, He's always taking good care of us over the years. Hopefully he can help you?

A list of what he carries(FYI). I'm pretty sure he won't post them or prices for fear of messing with the group rules.

Maine's Choice
Geneva
Power House
Barefoot
Black Hills
Okies
Country Boy
Turman
Hamer's
Energex
Dry Creek
Spruce Pointe

I have also seen Trebio-La Crete's and North Country( a few others too) while shopping, Just not sure of the quantities available. As always call before you make a run to see him. Prices are on the site.

http://www.ctpellet.com/products_pricing.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.