Pellet House pellet search and review "Ultimate Pellet search"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jtakeman said:
Turman results

Temp average 256ºF

Ash volume was just above the 8 ounce mark on jar

Ash weight 4.48 ounces

Ash Percentage 0.35%

Fines were less than 1/4 cup both bags

Notes:

how did you like these? a local stove shop has them on sale for 225 a ton. i picked up a few bags to try but i wanted some input from the MAN of pellets!..lol

86 toy said:
jtakeman said:
Turman results

Temp average 256ºF

Ash volume was just above the 8 ounce mark on jar

Ash weight 4.48 ounces

Ash Percentage 0.35%

Fines were less than 1/4 cup both bags

Notes:

how did you like these? a local stove shop has them on sale for 225 a ton. i picked up a few bags to try but i wanted some input from the MAN of pellets!..lol

I like them a lot. These pellets were from my own stash. I purchased 1.3 tons last year. This is my 4th year burning them. They seem to be very consistent. I have burned them in my quad, bigE and now my Omega. all 3 stoves burned them very well. Cost is always a factor but I do keep an eye out for these. Definetly in my top 10 list of pellets to look out for.

I am handing 2 bags to macman on Saturday when we meet and swap pellets. I will ask him to post some comments about the Turmans, along with the Cubex, Okies and Spruce Pointes.

Let us know what you think of the Turmans as well, Good or bad, Its info for all the other burners. Seeing that every stove will burn them a bit differently(the YMMV part). Your comments are always welcome.

Keep us posted.
jay

jtakeman said:
I am handing 2 bags to macman on Saturday when we meet and swap pellets. I will ask him to post some comments about the Turmans, along with the Cubex, Okies and Spruce Pointes......

Yep, I'll post some comments when I burn them. Looking forward to trying these new (to me) pellets.

Jay will be able to do a mini test and report on some of the ones I'm swapping with him: Premier (softwood), Lignetics (Green Letter, last years hardwood), CleanFire, Warm Front, and Alleghany.

I burned all kinds of pellets in my stove this winter to try out. My stove liked Turman's the best. Anxious to see how they burn for you. It is amazing how pellets burn differently in different stoves. I think most people had positive results with them, but I see that some people who have tested out the same ones I have prefer a different pellet than Turman. For me it was a clear winner.

well right now it seems my stove burns everything like crap thats why i'm trying some different brands so i can rule out the pellets being the problem.
i just finnished 5 bags of Marth and i liked them but i won't pay the $300 a ton that lowes wants for them, they put out good heat but the were pretty dusty compaired to the barefoot.
my stove is shutting down as we speak so i can give it a good cleaning and start fresh with the turmans.
I will definatly post results after i get done with these 5 bags.

thanks for the input guys

dobie daddy said:
BTU said:
dobie daddy said:
jtakeman said:
dobie daddy said:
plain and simple. More Fuel=More heat.
Less Fuel= Less heat.

Pellet size has to be accounted for.
Length, width and density

How would you do a fair test on all the different brands?

I found it fair to just leave my stove setting to 3 and measure temps. Do you measure all the brands, weight them per pound and see how long the bags last to the exact minute. I think not. Thats lab testing at least. Our lab testing is self policed by the manufactor.

I am doing what the average person does. Loads the hopper sets to there normal burn setting and goes from there.

You forgot one little thing too! The fiber. You see each species of wood has a different BTU rating. Use a lower grade fiber you get no heat. Use a quality fiber you get great heat! Easy to use an excuse about length, width and density. That's why there controlled by the PFI standard. The fiber isn't! Funny how another brand had long pellets too. But there heat was still very good? how can you explain that????

Let me put it in layman's terms 4 u.
Without regards to the material being bamboo or pipe tobacco:

plain and simple. More Fuel=More heat.
Less Fuel= Less heat.

Now if u oppose this fundamental fact, I suggest your biased or misinformed.

You are actually very correct Dobie Daddy, but you are missing the big picture of this testing. As Jay has mentioned on this forum and in his disclosure, this isn't a LAB test. It's what 99.9% of the pellet buying public would see if they were using these pellets in their own stove, give or take a little. This is only meant to be guide and ALL pellets are subject to change depending on 101 different things from moisture, stove, room size, temperature outside, humidity, etc, etc, etc.....YMMV and not everyone will duplicate these results exactly...not even Jay if you redid this test 20 times this season for each pellet....But it’s a great GUIDE and that is how you have to look at it. One pellet is 1/2" on average and the next 5/8", OK so what!!... Joe Six Pack isn't going to make any adjustment to his stove for this...or if he does, he is one in 100,000. Let's be real here...you get a bag, you open it up and you pour it in and away you go and the stove does it's thing.

All Jay is trying to do is figure out which pellets are decent and which are crap...so what if Cubex is 7 degrees hotter than Okies...that isn't a big deal ...but 84 degrees hotter than Inferno’s should be to most people. Having .281% ash is very low...having 1% is almost 4 times as much and should influence somebody’s buying decision....and that is exactly what this test shows...with pictures...

You don't like his test...that fine...don't use it or play attention to it.!!...... ;-)

If u don't like my opinions then don't pay attention either and
your average joe theory doesn't hold water b cause the average joe is heating with fossil fuel.

FINALLY!!!

Found the thread I was looking for.
Where an average joe like me could get real life basic results and input from pellet average joes.

Did my Due diligence before buying my HARMAN Advantage.
Excellent piece of machinery.

However:
I have been searching for 1 1/2 months for this kind of info. on the Pellets themselves.
Not much out there.

THANKS! for all the hard work & time you & others have spent.

Sincerely,

Jay thanks for all of your hard work. Not everyone may agree with the test format, but it is under your reall world conditions. Like you stated, the results mayvery, but it gives everone a idea of what pellets give the best bang for the buck. In simpler terms people can see what pellets you tested and if they have those name brands by them, they can pick up a few bags and find out what ones work best in their stove. Just like I did last yr. Once again thanks for your hard work.
Jim

Let us know what you think of the Turmans as well, Good or bad, Its info for all the other burners. Seeing that every stove will burn them a bit differently(the YMMV part). Your comments are always welcome.

STOVE CHOW Pellets:

Any body heard of them?
I read they went defunct before 2005.

Does anyone remember or know how their pellets burn & ash content?

Comments Appreciated...

I burned Stow Chow for years before i knew any better, last batch i got smelled horrible, they told me they got sawdust from Canada, used to be $134 a ton at HD, i remember a 3 ton deal delivered for free

i burned those 5 bags Turmans and went yesterday and bought a ton.. i had very good results with them. very little fines in the bags if any and they produce good heat and low ash. i can't wait to break open this ton and start burning them!

jtakeman said:
Thank you Brian and Debi at BT Enterprises for the free samples. Much Appreciated!

Here we go again, Still only going to mostly burn these on weekends!

Disclaimer: All stoves are different and your results may very. There are uncontrollable factors involved. Time is also a restraint. I have a real job and real life issues. This will be as time allows an I don't want to rush anything.I am not a pellet Salesman,Dealer or am I connected in anyway shape or form. Just a addicted pellet burner looking for deals like everyone else! :) And I got addicted to this testing stuff!:

Please don't use this for my results. Use it as a test reference for your own testing at best. I have a multifuel stove and can burn almost anything. I am not bothered by clinkers, Chute backups or burnpot clogging. I may actually be the wrong person doing these test's because of this. Please always try before you buy!

I am trying something a little different this time. Try to keep all the results on the 1st page of the test. I hope it works. I have 2 reserved at the end for future's if I find any. I want to try Dragon Mountain's, and Lignetic Green Label hardwood only. I do have M&M and Quality One purchased if I can't find any of the others. I may also get some Uncle Jeds if things work out. Again time is tight and I have limited cash. I will get to them sooner or later.

I got most of these pellets pretty close to home. Tried to stay as local as possible. Most came from Burn Time Enterprises in bristol. The Turman and the Kentucky Kernel cam from CT Pellet. I couldn't make it to CJs in Enfield. I don't know if they sell by the bag anyway. I wish I could have hit more places! Burn Time Enterprises seems to have the best deal's lately. CT Pellet is still to rich for my blood! If I buy Turman this year, It will be from CJ's. The Barefoots and Okanagan's were donated by friends. Some other brands were also donated by BT Enterprises. I like DONATIONS!

This test is aimed at finding the Ultra hot pellets at an affordable price. Comparing this test with the other test that had a dozen or so candidates for the cold season pellets. Shoulder are easy for me to find. Just about anything is acceptable for my stove. Last year for the cold season it was Turman at $265/ton(I bought a ton and split a ton with a friend) for the cold and O Malleys at $240 for the rest of the season. I also scored(40 bags at $4.00/bag) some Premiers hardwoods(made by energex) at TSC for the shoulder season. My budget is similar this year so the price ranges are close. Probably looking at a 2 ton total purchase.

Link to the other "BIGBOX" test:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

During a recent cold snap. I was burning the O Malley. Temps were very close to zero. And my stove was not raising the house temps at medium heat setting(3). Looks like my winter pellets heat has to be above the O Malley average temps. I was able to raise my stove setting to medium high(4) and the stove was raising the temps. I prefer to run my stove on medium heat setting(3) and basically reduce the wear and tear on the stoves vitals. So I need to get my winter pellets at or above the 245ºF heat average to be sure I can get good heat in the very cold -20ºF extreme weather.

Hardwoods
Barefoots* √
Corinth √
Cubex √
Dry Creek √
Hamer √
Juniata √
Kentucky Kernel √
Nature's Own √
O Malley √
Ozark √
PA pellet √
Propellet Burning
Turman √
Wood Pellet Co. √

Softwoods
Dragon Mountains
Lake Region √
Okanagans* √
Pure Fire Next
Rocky Mnt* √
Spruce Pts √

Blend
ACP √
Energex Canadian √
Lignetics* √
NEWP S1 √
NEWP J1 √
NEWP S2 √

* note these results
will be taken from
the other test

√ =Complete

Check the chart attached here!(here he goes with them charts again!) :lol:

Some other pellet info for you(Just FYI).

Michigans are the same as North Country
Cubex are the same as Northern and Comfort
Quality One is the same as M&M
Uncle Jeds fir are the same as Bear Mountain
Dragon Mountain are made by Pinnicle Pellet(also made NEWP's Greene supreme)
Hamer also makes Winter Warm and Hardwood Heat pellets
Energex makes the Premier pellet both hard(Appalachian) and softwood. Natures Own
NEWP makes CleanFires for woodpellets.com

Hope you guys and gals enjoy.
jay

Jay,

How do I tell the NEWP's from each other.
I see you have in your list:

NEWP-J1
NEWP-S1
NEWP-S2

Looking at possibly picking some up to just check them out.

jtakeman said:
NEWP results.

Temp average 206ºF

Ash volume Was at the 20 ounce mark on jar.

Ash weight 9.18 ounces

Ash Percentage 0.72%

Fines about a 1/4 cup for both bags

Notes: These are from the Schuyler plant. There are several long pellets in the mix about 1 3/4 inches long. Code on bag was 9221.

Due to some issue's, I will retest these pellets. There will be 3 burns total.

1.) NEWP-S1 =For Schuyler plant burn #1(this burn) results

2.) NEWP-J1 =For Jaffery plant burn #1 results see post #59

3.) NEWP-S2 =For Schuyler plant burn #2 results see post #60

Jay,
Does it say on the bag the plant where they are from?

My bags say Jaffrey right on it. I assume the ones from the Schuyler say they are from Schuyler. I had no complaints about the heat they produced, but found them ashy. The date on the bag was 1/09, so I assume they were scrambling to meet demand back then and I think quality slipped a bit. (Just my opinion). Like everyone else says here, try a few bags while it's still cold to test them out before you buy multiple tons.

Okanagan's/Turman's/Barefoots/Green Team/Somerset/Dragon Mtn./Spruce Pts./Pure Fire:

I never burned any of these pellets & want to give them a try.
Looking for suppliers on my way out to Nazareth PA. From North New Jersey.
You from Jersey? I'm from Jersey?!?!?!
Will be traveling 80W thru NJ & on 611/512/191 thru Bangor on into Nazareth PA.

These are hard to get in NJ.
Hoping someone could point me in the right direction :cheese:

Stoves and Stuff 610-966-2271 has the barefoots. The closest to where you are is Lehigh street. easy to get to, however will take 20 min to 30 to get there from Mikes (treecycle). They were also 275 last month. I would hope these places would start dropping prices soon!

Jim H. said:
Stoves and Stuff 610-966-2271 has the barefoots. The closest to where you are is Lehigh street. easy to get to, however will take 20 min to 30 to get there from Mikes (treecycle). They were also 275 last month. I would hope these places would start dropping prices soon!

Thanks,

Gave Tim a call.
Still trying to find a place a little closer.

H ADVANCE said:
Okanagan's/Turman's/Barefoots/Green Team/Somerset/Dragon Mtn./Spruce Pts./Pure Fire:

I never burned any of these pellets & want to give them a try.
Looking for suppliers on my way out to Nazareth PA. From North New Jersey.
You from Jersey? I'm from Jersey?!?!?!
Will be traveling 80W thru NJ & on 611/512/191 thru Bangor on into Nazareth PA.

These are hard to get in NJ.
Hoping someone could point me in the right direction :cheese:

STOVE CHOW Pellets...

Anyone here ever burn them?
Could you compare to a pellets from Jay's List
on the first post of this thread?
Might be able to pick up 20bags cheap.

I am getting next seasons stock.
Does this make me a "Pellet Pig"???
oink:)

LEN

uh.....wouldnt buy a whole years' supply until I KNEW they were quality product..........

Lousyweather said:
uh.....wouldnt buy a whole years' supply until I KNEW they were quality product..........

I agree.
I have a few ton already for next season.
However looking for 1-ton of super premium grade or near that for the really cold days.
At least in the mid 250 degree range based on Jay's charts.

I enjoy looking at the full information of the results and can figure out for myself that if he mentioned the longer pellets and if the temp was a little lower that a different feed rate could improve the temp. If the test still showed a bunch of ash and fines along with it that is something else to consider or think about. I know my quadrafire castile has different results with the rocky mountains and ozark pellets temp wise but the ash content and fines were pretty well on target for his test.

Thank you very much for taking time to even measure the results and post the information, it is very interesting and informative.

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.

This thread as the other should be pinned on the main page as a STICKY!!!!

Pellet-King said:

The way pellet change(from what I hear) I doubt you will see them sticky this.

There is no way I could test this many brands again. It just takes to much time. I think we could all pool our talents and test brands all together. Even if we did some overlapping of certain brands it would not hurt. Trust me if this dummy(meaning me!) could do it anyone can!

But we need to work out some details. And The big one is the heat(there will be difference's between stoves). Bag weight and volume are another.

Can I get any volunteers???

jtakeman said:
Pellet-King said:

The way pellet change(from what I hear) I doubt you will see them sticky this.

There is no way I could test this many brands again. It just takes to much time. I think we could all pool our talents and test brands all together. Even if we did some overlapping of certain brands it would not hurt. Trust me if this dummy(meaning me!) could do it anyone can!

But we need to work out some details. And The big one is the heat(there will be difference's between stoves). Bag weight and volume are another.

Can I get any volunteers???

I doubt I can match the dilligent analysis you've provided but I/we (the eng 25 an I) would be happy to serve in the jtakeman corps of pellet pyro-engineering.

I've got 4 bags of last year's NEWP's and 2 t of Somerset I can start with, I'll start picking up some odd ball brands soon.

Jay, how did you obtain the ash to weigh it? complete stove cleaning (flue and all) or just out of the burn pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.