Pellet mill purchase? Different pellet fuels, or stick with wood pellet.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2013
Dutchess county, NY
I have been researching wood inserts and pellet inserts for almost 4 months now. I am probably gonna put a pellet insert in my upstairs of my house and a freestanding one downstairs(wood or pellet not sure yet).

As far as the different types of fuels for pellets. Why makes a multi fuel pellet insert different from a wood pellet insert? Anyone use multi fuel pellets? Im talking grass or leaves, cherry pits etc. Is anyone afraid of just having a single fuel pellet?

I was looking into the pellet mill machines so you can produce your own pellet fuel. What do you guys think any experience?

Mills get discussed regularly and the energy and other machines needed just don't compute for smaller consumers. I don't have any experience with inserts yet. Freestanding units the advantage is ability to handle higher ash. Cherry pits, nut shells have a lower weight per cu.ft so unit better have a good auger and feed rate.

Trying to make your own pellets is like trying to make your own paper. Can you? Sure. But much lower quality and usefulness. Just go buy it...

I def know its not easy. But what happens if pellet tons surge to extreme prices? Just would like to have some knowledge and a back up plan. I think im deciding in buying the 52i upstairs and a king downstairs.

Corn at the local elevator last Friday when I got it was 140 per ton. Blending for the Harman, Hestia and straight for the Bixby. Basically buy early and store in a cool dry place. Call it a winter survival strategy. Once of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Maybe I have this mentality because I grew up on a farm and we were pretty self reliant.

Reactions: Madcodger
I def know its not easy. But what happens if pellet tons surge to extreme prices? Just would like to have some knowledge and a back up plan. I think im deciding in buying the 52i upstairs and a king downstairs.

My backup plan for pellet price increases is a wood stove. More labor intensive but it will heat...

My backup plan for pellet price increases is a wood stove. More labor intensive but it will heat...

I am thinking of picking one up to store for use when the economy crumbles. No worries about electricity and 69 acres of other folks woods behind me. The pellet stoves will make nice planters.

Status
Not open for further replies.