Pellet pail/coal hod/straight from the bag?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
Probably a lame question but I am trying to figure out what to use to load my new pellet stove's hopper with pellets. I saw the "pellet pail" at my local hearth shop but at $90 didn't think it was worth it. I also see a few of you use coal hods but how much does that hold? half a bag? Or I suppose I could just cut the bag and carefully dump it right in. But when the stove is running I don't like the idea of the plastic bag possibly touching the hot stove.

What do you all use/recommend? just curious.

Whatever works for you. I use a 5 gallon bucket.........not to heavy.....not to lite...........you could get one them black stove buckets that are about the same size and look nicer but my bucket goes back to my pellet area after i'm done with it.........i'm sure others will have ideas

I use a black coal pail that hold about 20lbs of pellets. I cost me $20 at the local cowboy hardware store.

I'm a outta the bag guy. Hopper on the Revolution isn't hot enough to melt a bag. Holds almost 3 bags, so I don't add unless I'm pretty sure it will hold at least a bag.

Boss woman informed me, I need to get one of "coal buckets" but in copper color. This isnt just warmth, but it has to be fashionanble... well at least for her.

I have 3 special designer pails in a wonderful orange color that nicely hold 2 bags of pellets. They even have a picture of a little guy on the side.

Dumping, IMO, is too dusty since our stove space is finished. I tear the entire top off the bag, gather it tightly with my right hand, and stuff it right into the top of my XXV. If I do it right, I can get the top of the bag resting on the bottom of the hopper, I then slowly pull up the bag and the pellets flow into the hopper without a stitch of dust. Some stoves might be harder than others, the XXV is really nice in this regard...

lbcynya said:
Dumping, IMO, is too dusty since our stove space is finished. I tear the entire top off the bag, gather it tightly with my right hand, and stuff it right into the top of my XXV. If I do it right, I can get the top of the bag resting on the bottom of the hopper, I then slowly pull up the bag and the pellets flow into the hopper without a stitch of dust. Some stoves might be harder than others, the XXV is really nice in this regard...

I do this with my P43 too. I bought an $80 coal hod that held a full bag of pellets. But is was awkward and I was always banging the hod on the stove, etc. I also realized what someone else already mentioned.....why pour out a bag twice......So I now do what the gentleman above does. Works great!!!

lbcynya said:

X2- I am probably not as careful as the above poster but you get the idea. I did learn on year one NOT to do the following 1) Cut just the corner of the bag, I cut the entire top off. Too hard to handle and takes too long to pour. 2) Do not let the bag come in contact with the iron on the door itself, this part is hot enough at least on my stove to melt the bag, which causes pellets to fall all over the hearth pad and floor.

Utilitrack said:
lbcynya said:

X2- I am probably not as careful as the above poster but you get the idea. I did learn on year one NOT to do the following 1) Cut just the corner of the bag, I cut the entire top off. Too hard to handle and takes too long to pour. 2) Do not let the bag come in contact with the iron on the door itself, this part is hot enough at least on my stove to melt the bag, which causes pellets to fall all over the hearth pad and floor.

Haha - Yes, if you don't take the top of the bag clear off, then pellets get stuck in the corner or along the top seam and the dump all over the hearth when you think the bag was "empty".

I got to be different :) I have a couple totes that hold 3 bags each that I fill, and got a feed scoop that holds 3-4 lbs of pellets I use to scoop pellets from tote to the hopper. Works great as scoop fits down into hopper and you can dump pellets easy without any dust. Plus since I fill it in morning and top it off again in evening, depending on the temps may only take 4-8 scoops to fill it.
Best part is when bad weather is coming I make sure to fill the totes and have enough pellets inside to last 4-7 days depending on how much I'm using per day.

I have 2 coal hods. They are for curb appeal only (looks) . Although when the Wife was pregnant last year, she did use them a few times. They only hold a half bag (20 lbs) so she didnt have to lift a full bag. I did it primarily for the looks though. Does not look so empty.

Attachments

• Done-till next year.jpg
    Done-till next year.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,072
DexterDay said:
I have 2 coal hods. They are for curb appeal only (looks) . Although when the Wife was pregnant last year, she did use them a few times. They only hold a half bag (20 lbs) so she didnt have to lift a full bag. I did it primarily for the looks though. Does not look so empty.

Looks much better than my totes :) Plus I have to keep then farther away from stove.

I have a nice wooden trunk that holds four bags. I bought a grain scoop and use that to load the stove. Let me clarify, the wife likes the scoop because it's easier. I will load from a bag if the hopper is pretty low. Here's a picture of the trunk.

Attachments

• Pellet bin 002.jpg
    Pellet bin 002.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 605
I'm a straight out of the bag guy.

One thing I have learned is that the thermal seam on the top of the bags will split if you pull them right. It depends on the pellet MFG which side of the seam needs to be pulled. I stick my finger into the bag just below the seam making a hole about the size of a quarter. Then I pull the seam apart completely. I make sure the corners are open. I then up-end the bag into the hopper. Then I pull the bag upward as the pellets fill the hopper. I then carefully fold the bag up with the top over the hopper (less dust flying out). Then dispose of the bag in a collection bag (older pellet bag).

For some reason it seems to matter which side of the bag you punch the hole into. If you get the wrong side it won't split the seam but just rips the bag under it. Not as clean a tear.

YMMV
---Nailer---

Status
Not open for further replies.