New England (MA, CT, ME, NH, VT, RI) Pellet Price vs Home Heating Oil price

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rsh678

As the price of oil has continued to stay low and the price of pellets continues to rise it has become a lot more expensive to heat with pellets than with oil. Using a pellet price of $329 here in CT and assuming a ton of pellets is equivalent to 120 gallons of oil , the cost of the equivalent of a 275 gallon oil tank fill up would be $756.70. The cost to fill up with oil at the current price of $2.18/gallon is only $599.50. This is a huge difference. Last year the price of oil was even cheaper and the price of pellets only abut $.10 cheaper so again, not cost effective to heat with pellets. I have chosen over the last 2 years to use my oil heat instead. Anyone else feeling the pinch of high pellet prices?

Reactions: Jack Morrissey

Pete Zahria

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2014
New Hampster
mcmanusfuels.com
Not here.
Our pellets aren't $329 either, and oil is not $2.18 so the difference is not like yours..

per one million BTU... here..
#2 Oil at $2.41 = $22.39
Pellets at $250 = $19.54

Dan

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
Not here.
Our pellets aren't $329 either, and oil is not $2.18 so the difference is not like yours..

per one million BTU... here..
#2 Oil at $2.41 = $22.39
Pellets at $250 = $19.54

Dan
Saw that oil in my area is $2.89/gal (My boiler burns propane which is way more expensive so I'll keep it at oil). Even the NH Energy site says the average price for oil is $2.82/gal.

Ton of pellets, depending on where/what kind you buy is anywhere from $240 to $310/ton in my area. I will admit that we don't get any of the super duper pellets, but they aren't dogs either. 120 gal of oil would be $347. According to this chart, the only thing cheaper at this time is natural gas, which isn't available in my area.

Reactions: Pete Zahria

bogieb

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2014
South Central NH
Propane went up and is now $4.14/gal for the delivery I got a couple of days ago. Although I've paid more in the past (winter of 2013/2014 comes to mind), the price has held steady at around $3.50/gal for the last couple of years. Fortunately only used 62 gallons over the winter for DHW and the pilot light for the boiler.