Pellets vs Oil Winter 2022?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

heatherco

Nov 19, 2008
Central MA
Wondering what people’s thoughts are on this? Right now oil is 4.13 a gallon. Pellets are $3.08 a ton. Yesterday we learned that our electric rates here in Massachusetts are going up about 60%!!! beginning November 1.

With this in mind, we aren’t sure which way to go…heat with pellets or oil this year.
either way we will definitely get some.

Anyone have any thoughts on which may be cheaper in the long term? Seems like we are all getting nailed no matter what we do anymore.

Thanks for any input!

Fuel oil will cost about 1/3 more then pellets. There is a good cost calculator online. https://www.pelletheat.org/compare-fuel-costs
More work with pellets but cheaper even at $308/ton. At that price oil would have to be $2.59/gal.

Last year using the minisplit during shoulder season, and most of the winter (since it was mild), actually ran about neck-and-neck with pellets. Oil and propane were never in the hunt.

The supply portion for electric went up 100% a month ago (that doesn't count the ~$50 each month for other standard charges). My August usage was about 30kwh less than I used in July, but my bill was $40 higher in August. So now it is way cheaper to use pellets.

I would expect all prices to go up thru the winter, but that is a guess as my crystal ball is in the shop ;)

Heat pumps got us through most of last winter with an occasional ~30 minute use of the boiler on exceptionally cold times. Hoping to completely replace any oil use with a pellet stove in our basement, we'll see.

This is my first year with a pellet stove. Just installed and bought 3 tons of pellets (no idea how much I would need, so I guesstimated 3 tons. I paid about 950 with delivery for the 3 tons. On the other hand, I just topped off with oil and it was $625 for just over 100 gallons. Around central NJ where I am I think my break even with the pellet stove is going to come pretty quick.

I was lucky to catch oil at dip down to $4/gal last month and bought 100gal. Wish had refilled tanks in spring. To fill tanks (two tanks) would have been over $2k. My last previous fill a year ago was $2/gal. Last winter used 1 ton and maybe 300gal. Amazing how much more efficient new boiler is (installed WM WGO3 replacing WGO4) but at $4/gal pellets still cheaper at $300/ton.
Oil now nearly $6/gal. So my 100gal is just for hot water. Most good pellets here expensive and if paying $400 or more per ton its just crazy but still cheaper than oil. I have 4 tons so far and expect to need one more as also have a pellet stove in garage will be using when working in there.
Burned two bags Greene Teams and two bags TSC (Currans). The Currans seem great for price ($300/ton). Looking at past reviews they seem to be much better this year. To get the GT for $300/ton had to use Lowes coupons and just PITA. Honestly just off two bag comparison, GT had way more fines and were no better. Lowes also raised price on them now to where be $350/ton with coupons. Which is why got rest from TSC. Was expecting junk but so far seem good. Cant imagine a $400/ton or more be worth it unless you are rich, in which case I'd just use oil.

this year I find pellets much cheaper than oil. For one full tank of oil I could get over four tons of pellets. So for about 2.5 months of oil I would get almost a full heating season supply of pellets.

this year I find pellets much cheaper than oil. For one full tank of oil I could get over four tons of pellets. So for about 2.5 months of oil I would get almost a full heating season supply of pellets.
Same here with propane. Filled the tank and got 4 tons of pellets this summer. Each was $1000 within a few dollars.

And though I never tried heating a full winter with propane, the previous owner said he would go through a few tanks a year. So about apples to apples with you.

Propane runs the water heater, range, dryer, and boiler that I put on standby when temps are below freezing 24/7, and the generator. With smart use and luck, I can get 2 years out of a tank.

Reactions: Bob Sorjanen
The latest average prices for NH. I can't beleive the propane prices are so low compared to oil prices. In my experience since 2013 (when I moved to a place that used propane instead of oil), normally those ratio's would be the opposite. At $325/ton, pellets are half the cost per MBTU. Even at $500/ton, pellets are only $39.10/MBTU.

Home heating fuel cost 10-29-2022.png

Wondering what people’s thoughts are on this? Right now oil is 4.13 a gallon. Pellets are $3.08 a ton. Yesterday we learned that our electric rates here in Massachusetts are going up about 60%!!! beginning November 1.

With this in mind, we aren’t sure which way to go…heat with pellets or oil this year.
either way we will definitely get some.

Anyone have any thoughts on which may be cheaper in the long term? Seems like we are all getting nailed no matter what we do anymore.

Thanks for any input!
What did you decide to do?

fuel oil is 4.54 a gal here. Hardwood pellets are around 5.48 a bag. Have not run the USSC 6039 for 10 years... I got to get it running first then see I can even move tons of pellets(age).

I can even move tons of pellets(age).
I'm 74 with bad knees and a very bad back
I still move pellets removed the oil years ago
Also, heat the main house (built 1856) with wood for the last 43 years
and still, process my own wood You are only as old as you feel
some days I feel 110

I'm 74 with bad knees and a very bad back
I still move pellets removed the oil years ago
Also, heat the main house (built 1856) with wood for the last 43 years
and still, process my own wood You are only as old as you feel
some days I feel 110
Thanks for the pep talk! This pricing and costs caught me off guard! Guess I have to get up and do something...