Pellet question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

harley75

Nov 21, 2016
pennsylvania
Merry Xmas all

The nature's own pellets I see they have a shine to them and smell like varnish.I seen some other ones they don't have a shine and smell like wood but the nature's own I think that's my trouble will not but them again

well made pellets will be hard and shiny, pellets that are old and have been damp or in a humid storage or made with to much moisture before it make it to the die. will be not as shiny and break easily

Reactions: tlc1976
well made pellets will be hard and shiny, pellets that are old and have been damp or in a humid storage or made with to much moisture before it make it to the die. will be not as shiny and break easily
I see what your saying but these are easy to break and smell like varnish.I never had that before must be old or they got damp I don't know

after 17years of pellet burning i have had some the smell like elmers glue..lots of different trees lots of diff minerals. some even use binders.

I've had some this year Harley that were last years and the burned like *&%T. gotta keep trying different kinds and find what works best in your stove.

Some pellets use wax and other fillers as a binder.

I had good luck with Natures Own.I believe they are an Energex product.If I came across them again I would buy them.What kind of problems are you having?

They don't seem to burn right and ashy cut the feed back to 4 air at 5 trying that for now might go back to timber heat had a few bags of them and the burnt nice and less ash.The only thing I can do is play around with it