Pellet Shortage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't say that it's always "poor planning." Had to move for work last winter & had our Harman installed in December...finding pellets was a bear. I was coming from a place with gas heat and knew nothing about it until recently.

Now, of course, I'm hooked. lol

You can't say that it's always "poor planning." Had to move for work last winter & had our Harman installed in December...finding pellets was a bear. I was coming from a place with gas heat and knew nothing about it until recently.

Now, of course, I'm hooked. lol

Your situation is the exception not the rule.

All in all I've had more success with hardware affiliates like Do It, Ace and True Value. Locked in price and bought in June-July. Went down there the other day and they had about ten tons in the yard with no limit. As I said, I tend to think it's poor planning on the part of the individual store if one affiliate has lots and another none. Big box - well they're probably shifting over to lawnmowers and seeds now. Very unreliable supply and, IMNTBHO, lousy quality.

"IMNTBHO" ?? For those of us which are not as technically adept in acronyms---wuzitmean??

It would go a long way to explain why some areas have a shortage while others do not.
As far as small dealers go, it is far from poor planning.
In our case.. pellets and coal are the ONLY thing we sell.
And we get them/sell them, 52 weeks a year.
We have been begging for pellets since the shortage LAST year..
Wanted two loads a week, get one every week and a half to two...
We had a 300 ton buffer, to what historically has been the start of the season.
That went in no time... at one point we had 3 lonely tons on the ground..
We have already sold almost as much as all of last year...
and it isn't even winter yet..:rolleyes:

One big problem, at least with the stuff we get, is that it comes from Canada..
The truckers won't bring a load down here, unless they can pick something up
to bring back.. With the big demand, there just isn't that much stuff going back,
compared to the demand for trips down...
One of the big trips back, is logs.. Well... there aren't many of those either!

I know a lot of people think this is all BS, and some sort of plan..
But I can tell you, it's as crappy for retailers, as it is for consumers, right now..
Nobody wants things to change more than we do!!

Now everyone's mileage may vary... but that is what we see here...

Dan

Coles hardware had over 30 ton of Barefoot the other week.

Man made for sure. Here in Tn, we have a few pellet plants near us. The one I get my hard wood pellets from is limiting local sales. As Wal-mart and Tractor supply tried to buy every bag they had. Guy I buy from told me he was getting 3 loads and that was it this winter. I had ordered 5 tons before so I have mine. One of the other plants is not making any heating pellets at all this winter. They're only making Smoking pellets and bedding pellets for animals. Was told by the owner that the prices on these items were so good he could not swap over. I do know a few big plants in Ms has stopped sales in the US. All there production goes over sea's. And there behind on orders there also.
We have places that burn there sawdust here as they can't get it out of there way. So I'm thinking before spring I will be setting up a personal use pellet mill. Run my own pellets and make sure I have my heat when I need it. Not when I can get pellets. I have a loader, building Old feed mill from when I had cows. And a truck to haul the dust. So after doing some research, I can pay for the mill in 2 seasons then my pellets will be fuel and our labor.:cool:

Love our Harmon PF100 Furnace. And cheap heat it puts out.
Pete

Hey Pete,I see you are from Tennessee and just joined today.Welcome.I'm from Middle Tn. Joelton (near Nashville).I had a hard time getting pellets this year.I could have went to Paris,Tn and got Henry Co. Pellets in Aug. for $140.00 ton.Decided not to go and wait and get them at Rural King in Clarksville,Tn.That was a BIG MISTAKE on my part.They have been selling Henry Co.for several years.They couldn't get any this year.Wound up with the dirtiest burning pellet I ever put in my stove. They are (((FIBER ENERGY PRODUCTS)))SORRY SORRY SORRY...
Where are you getting your pellets?Not many here from Tennessee .Pellet stoves just never caught on.All the dealers around my area have closed...
Tony

It's not always poor planning. Most people i know don't have a couple thousand dollars laying around to buy the entire winters pellets in advance. This is the first year we had money to buy ahead

Others don't have the room to store them.

It's not always poor planning. Most people i know don't have a couple thousand dollars laying around to buy the entire winters pellets in advance. This is the first year we had money to buy ahead

Others don't have the room to store them.

Good points!

Not a pellet to be found at any of the local box stores, and dealers appear to be out as well. Lowes got a truckload last week and they went in a day. I stocked up for winter, but would prefer to store only 4 of my 6 tons at any given time due to available space. But given the shortage we saw brewing I'm glad we have all 6 under roof. The lawn mower and snow thrower can sit outside the shed under covers.

As for planing, the supplier we were going to buy from back in late Aug (PA Pellet Guy) couldn't guarantee delivery of 6 tons even then, and we pay upfront, in full. He was ethical enough to note this, though, and to tell me to snap up our 6 tons from Lowes and a local dealer when we had the chance. I'll return to him next year because of that. But lack of pellets is a real problem in some areas.

I can get plenty in Southern In. still. Thinking of selling my 3 tons of Easy Heats and switching to some from TSC that work much better for me. I bet it changes soon here too...

This is how every hd and tsc looks up here in the hudson valley. The only shortage here is lowes dropping the ball. Home depot has a steady supply of junk gs coming in weekley. There gonna be choking on these pellets come spring

Attachments

• jui.jpg
    jui.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 189
I was at three places that sell pellets yesterday. In the last two days all the stores put a 1 ton limit in place. They all said we have a lot of pellets in stock, but where told we will not be getting any more rest of the season.

Do you think it has to do with how many households are burning pellets in certain areas of the country?

I think there are many factors. Around me there is not a shortage, yet. Later in winter there might be.

The many factors I think are.

1. More people getting pellets stoves
2. last years nasty cold winter
3. people hoarding and over stocking, I am not talking about a ton or two extra. The people that have next years supply and then some.
4. Sounds like the pellet mills are having a hard time keeping up. It's almost December and some of the stores around me will not be getting anymore shipments from the pellets factory's for rest of season. Why? Seems like they should be able to make more in January and February?

I think there are many factors. Around me there is not a shortage, yet. Later in winter there might be.

The many factors I think are.

1. More people getting pellets stoves
2. last years nasty cold winter
3. people hoarding and over stocking, I am not talking about a ton or two extra. The people that have next years supply and then some.
4. Sounds like the pellet mills are having a hard time keeping up. It's almost December and some of the stores around me will not be getting anymore shipments from the pellets factory's for rest of season. Why? Seems like they should be able to make more in January and February?
If they are big box blame the buyers and the seasonal shift. They don't want leftovers when garden supplies come in.

Wow, what is with this year's pellet shortage? All the stores near me have a 10 bag limit and won't sell by the ton. I'm in Southern MD (Northern Calvert County) and most stores are sold out within a couple days of receiving shipment.
Unfortunate. Here In Bristol Ct there is Lowes, depot.. Both sold out end of Sept and not optimistic taking new orders. TSC is here too. They Had Lignetics, TSC Labeled and North American. Bought 2 tons of Lignetics, went back 3 days later all they had left was North American. Picked up 2 more tons of those

If they are big box blame the buyers and the seasonal shift. They don't want leftovers when garden supplies come in.

Leftovers? That does not add up. Why put a limit on product when you don't want to have any of it in the spring?

When they call the pellet mill for more and they say no, we don't have any, why?

If you call my company for more product, I can make that happen on the spot.

Reactions: LordmetalZ28
MommyOf4 were you able to find & purchase some pellets, without braking the bank ??

Wow, what is with this year's pellet shortage? All the stores near me have a 10 bag limit and won't sell by the ton. I'm in Southern MD (Northern Calvert County) and most stores are sold out within a couple days of receiving shipment.
Just picked up some hammers at the Sneads in lusby. Better hurry if you're still in the market. They're going quick.

Southern NH is in good shape right now. Lowe's Amherst - 85 tons; Home Depot Merrimack -152 tons; Home Depot Manchester - 165 tons; Agway Peterborough - 80+ tons. It nice to be able to just pick them up when I need them. Got a dozen bags of AWF Ultras today and looking forward to trying another brand next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.