Pellet Stove Basement Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tensity

Nov 20, 2022
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hello,

I am interested in installing a pellet stove in my basement. My house has a brick exterior. I am interested in going through the rim joist and then out the brick. I have been searching around for an example of this, but I cannot find it. I did find something similar. It was mentioned to use the 7" thimble to go through sheetrock and butt it up against the back of the brick and just cut a hole big enough for the exhaust to exit.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

The brick is not combustable, but any framing, etc behind it is considered combustable. Don't want pellet flue in contact with combustables. I used 12" square wall thimble that had a hole dead center match OD of pellet flue to go through 12x12 square hole in my log wall, it has a telerscopic tube between the inner and outer portions. In one corner, I placed matching 2" holes to let me pass through a OA intake tube. It's in a corner at 45 degrees on a hearth with a back wall faced with man made stone and mortor.