Pellet Stove Insert Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

katielynn311

Oct 20, 2021
Griswold, CT
Hello!
I'm trying to determine what pellet stove insert would be best to buy. I've done a lot of research and still feel lost!

I live in a raised ranch that's 2300 sq ft in CT. In my 1st home I had a freestanding Breckwell P2700 pellet stove and I fell in love. So I'm used to the constant maintenance and toting the bags around. I'm looking for an insert because we don't have the space for a freestanding unit. We have 2 fireplaces however the basement fireplace (finished space) has propane logs already in it.
I could use some help with the following questions:
  1. Recommendations on brand/model
  2. New or used
  3. Location of the stove in the basement family room (not used as much - Photo 1) or upstairs in our Livingroom (common area - Photo 2)
Thank you in advance!! :)

IMG-5855.jpg
IMG-5850.jpg

Buy the unit you like with the features you want at a price you can afford
I would buy new then you know what you have
Install it in the area where it will give you the greatest pleasure
most likely where you spend most of your free time
Just my nickels worth
Welcome to the forum

I might add that if the fireplaces are in line with one another on different floors, they are sharing a common flu and if you install a pellet stove, IT HAS TO HAVE IT'S OWN FLUE or a flex flue run to the top of the existing chimney.

You need to get up on your roof and determine if there are 2 separate flues. If not then the only option is a flex duct flue.