Pellet Stove Right for Me?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fly4fish207

Sep 15, 2017
Wells, Maine
Good evening all. New to the forum and pellet stoves (been lurking for a while.) I've pretty much decided on the Castle Serenity, but have a couple questions...

My home is a 1400 sq ft cape. Newer home, well insulated, tight... Centrally located stairwell, mostly open downstairs, 2 bedroom upstairs. My hope is that by installing the pellet stove I can offset my oil consumption and heat the home with the stove when I am home and have something nice to look at in the process. The stove will be installed in the living room, and I'm thinking the air will naturally move throughout the first floor and up the stairwell (approximately 15 ft from stove location) and into the upstairs bedrooms.

I currently turn the heat down to 60 while away at work, and when I get home I'll turn it up to 70. I dont really care for it too warm, even in the dead of winter. When I go to bed, I drop it back down to 60 again. I'm thinking with the pellet stove installed, I'll be able to turn the thermostat for the boiler (essentially) off, and only rely on the pellet stove for heating the house, keeping it on it's lowest setting while away at work.

Is this wise? I don't want to end up paying for two sources of heat, and I've heard two different schools of thought on heat recovery time vs savings, etc. I'll always be tied to oil so long as I have a boiler. but am hoping I can cut back to using that exclusively for hot water needs only. I'm thinking my pellet consumption *should* be fairly low if i'm only cranking it up for 5-6 hours in the evening during the week then all day on the weekends. This being the case, I should be able to heat the house fairly inexpensively, correct?

Oil in my area is currently $1.98/gal, which isn't too bad. Maybe even cheaper than pellets when broken down into a daily cost. I'm just sort of on the fence whether it'll all be worth it (cost of stove, pipe, making a tile hearth pad, and then pellets) or if I'd be smarter to just stick to oil and run the thermostat a little higher.

I'd really appreciate input from those who may be in the same situation. Thanks a ton in advance!

Matt

Last edited:
If I had to buy fuel either way, I'd rather buy cordwood. You could go with pellets and possibly offset some home heating costs, or put in a woodstove and heat the entire house. If I had to buy the fuel, I'd expect it to replace the oil boiler the majority of the time.

If I had to buy fuel either way, I'd rather buy cordwood. You could go with pellets and possibly offset some home heating costs, or put in a woodstove and heat the entire house. If I had to buy the fuel, I'd expect it to replace the oil boiler the majority of the time.
In a perfect world I would be putting in a wood burning stove. I grew up with them, it reminds me of our camp, can run without power, ability to gather and cut my own wood and save money, etc etc. Only issue is the cost of the insulated ducting I would need for a full chimney, as the stove will be vented out the exterior wall and up roughly 20-25' to reach beyond the ridge. This is a HUGE cost and is why we're looking at pellet stoves instead.

You'll quickly find that heating your domestic water with the oil boiler is not the best way to go. An electric tank water heater is a common upgrade when you plan on using your oil boiler only as backup.

If your main motivation here is saving money they you should start by using one of the fuel cost calculators to determine which type of heat is most expensive per btu and then you can calculate a payback period for the new stove.

This post would probably be better in the pellet section of this forum.

You'll quickly find that heating your domestic water with the oil boiler is not the best way to go. An electric tank water heater is a common upgrade when you plan on using your oil boiler only as backup.

If your main motivation here is saving money they you should start by using one of the fuel cost calculators to determine which type of heat is most expensive per btu and then you can calculate a payback period for the new stove.

This post would probably be better in the pellet section of this forum.
Yes, but the pellet people are gonna be all for it! Never mind the expense of pellets and the continual maintenance, coupled with sub-par heat. Been there done it, won't go back to it.