Pellet Stove vs Propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Timelord

Oct 5, 2021
Canada
Hey gang.

Initially this winter I thought I wanted a pellet stove in order to heat my approx 1900 sq ft house. We do have a ducted heat pump, however it is on it's last legs. I thought now would be a good time to look at alternate heat sources (I love the "raw" heat of wood). I was just about to sign on the dotted line for a QuadraFire CAB50, however my wife finally saw the unit, and thought it too ugly.

At the same time, the dealer suggested we look at propane (Kosy Heat Oakport18), as it is a much smaller unit (heats 1000sq ft, vs 2000sq ft for the CAB50). All that being said, the units and install come to about the same price (5k CAD).

What would you guys go with?