Pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be hard to beat a Whitfield Quest. I know there are several others with them. Nice looking cast doors too. KISS

My stove is just about 25 years old and still cooking. Find one on Craigslist and call it a day. Has a damper rod and manual ignition, the horror! :p

My first one (an Englander) was full manual, 2 knob and toggle switches. It did have a red pilot lamp to show it was powered up, but that was it. Back then you had one choice in venting too, Simpson in 3" (with plenty of red RTV 'cause nothing fit up well).... I remember fondly. I wore it out actually, I still have manual ignition (gel firestarter), Don't care for resistance heated ignitors, waste of electrical energy. If I had a stove with a hot rod, I'd unplug it anyway.

This one is going on 12 years of operation with minimal care and maintenance but they all need maintenance nonetheless.May get a Hardon...ooops I mean Harman someday so I can join the 'elite fleet'. Have to go in the garage though, no room in the house for another fancy face....

First, I'll have to off my Caddilac and replace it with a Lexus or Benz so the Harman can heat some class........;lol

Reactions: Big papa
Be hard to beat a Whitfield Quest. I know there are several others with them. Nice looking cast doors too. KISS

When I was a young buck, I too was into nice looking 'doors'. Now that I'm an old fart I don't much care so long as it keeps me warm.

Oh, convince me. I will concede that the Harman stoves are a lot smarter than a lot of the Harman stove owners however.
Ergo by your logic anyone can thus run one well because they, as I've been saying, run themselves. Thanks for your support. ()

Last edited:
Reactions: jdinny
Ergo by your logic anyone can thus run one well because they, as I've been saying, run themselves. Thanks for the concession. ()
Hey f4 I thought that installing a pellet stove in the garage was a no no?

I think I'll buy a Harman to heat the garage with so I can say I own one too.
Nah. Just dig yourself a firepit in the midfle, and knock a hole in the roof for the smoke like a hogan. Totally manual. You'll love it! No instructions necessary.

Reactions: bags
Nah. Just dig yourself a firepit in the midfle, and knock a hole in the roof for the smoke like a hogan. Totally manual. You'll love it! No instructions necessary.
Outta likes so I love that one

What flavor MIG? As I remember real APU on the Double Ugly didn't come along until the E model. GPU compressed air start for GE J79

I was going to build in early 90"s. Then another venture took all spare time and money.

Oops my mistake

Any appliance that employs a flame (water heater or pellet/corn stove can be garage installed. The caveat is, it has to be elevated off the foor (usually 12" for code and sometimes more depending on how local code is written), so any flammable vapors (like gasoline) don't migrate to the flame and cause the fire department to show up...............:)

Reactions: Big papa
May have to rethink those requirements with the first hydrogen cars coming next year and I see more NG vehicles.

May have to rethink those requirements with the first hydrogen cars coming next year and I see more NG vehicles.

You won't be parking an NG vehicle in your garage for the foreseeable future, until the fueling bugs get worked out. and a fuel cell vehicle, well, sounds interesting and expensive. Get a Tesla and plug iit into a coal fired power plant feed and 'pretend' to be green....lol

Gonna be a long time before the fossil fueled (gasoline) engine is replaced by something else.

Reactions: F4jock
Fall of 04 Nissan was showing off its fuel cell truck with a 8 foot parabolic and tanks to make your own hydrogen. They then said it was a cheaper vehicle to produce than standard truck because of no transmission and expensive exhaust sytem and if your home is out of power you could plug in to the truck for power.
Now we have a pretty good idea of who would lose $$$ and want to block that great product.
The tech is here!

Of course. Like the adjustable a/f carb that 'vanished' or the Michigan guy that got screwed on the intermittent/varible speed windshield wipers.....

Corporate America.

Now Fords has caused a shortage of aluminum with their aluminum bodied F150.

Hydrogen is the way to go. NG, not so much. NG has fueling issues. One, it fuels under high pressure so fueling a hydrogen vessel isn't quick (pressure has to equalize and fill is slow) (like hours, bot seconds) and the pressure vessels are heavy. On board hydrogen generation is simple and the power plant is pollution free.

Won't happen in the foreseeable future, corporate America won't let it.

The only NG vehicles you see are fleet vehicles simply because of the fueling issues. Joe Blow cannot fuel one at the local filling station and until the infrastructure and technology becomes commonplace, you won't see them (except fleet vehicles).

Like the Tier 4 final mandate for urea catalyised diesel engines. It's a joke and the joke is on the consumer. I work with Tier 4 final Class 8 diesels everyday. When the electronics is sourced from the lowest bidder, things happen (mostly bad) and the end user pays.

The biggest bear in the room is how would they collect road taxes and power companies get their monthly user fee. MN was looking at how to collect road fees from electric cars now that thy don't use a taxed fuel.

You won't be parking an NG vehicle in your garage for the foreseeable future, until the fueling bugs get worked out. and a fuel cell vehicle, well, sounds interesting and expensive. Get a Tesla and plug iit into a coal fired power plant feed and 'pretend' to be green....lol

Gonna be a long time before the fossil fueled (gasoline) engine is replaced by something else.
Tesla is going to have free solar recharging stations and solar panels built into the car won't be to many paying to to recharge if it's free

Of course. Like the adjustable a/f carb that 'vanished' or the Michigan guy that got screwed on the intermittent/varible speed windshield wipers.....

Corporate America.

Now Fords has caused a shortage of aluminum with their aluminum bodied F150.
U
Hydrogen is the way to go. NG, not so much. NG has fueling issues. One, it fuels under high pressure so fueling a hydrogen vessel isn't quick (pressure has to equalize and fill is slow) (like hours, bot seconds) and the pressure vessels are heavy. On board hydrogen generation is simple and the power plant is pollution free.

Won't happen in the foreseeable future, corporate America won't let it.
I'm just wondering why this same problem wasn't blamed on delivery companies ordering thousands of delivery vehicles made from aluminum like fed ex, ups and and Snyder for example

Status
Not open for further replies.