Pellet types

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to kegerries website they have the AWF hardwoods which is a decent hardwood comparable to stove chow. never burned ez heats.

Think I am going to try soft wood for a ton and see if that gives me more heat and less accumulation of unburnt pellets in the pot to smother the flame during the day and night in my englander 25 . Unless someone tells me I'm wasting my time? It's funny that growing up with a wood stove all you would want is hard wood but with pellets I'm hearing the opposite

FYI Green Team Platinum is MUCH better than the std green supremes. The burn within 10-20F of Barefoots and just a little more ash.

I burned Platinum softwoods last year AND AWF softwoods (burned about the same)....niether of which was noticeably better than the Green Teams. In fact both had such bad fines I built the pellet cleaner last year just for them.

Was hoping to really get good results with the softwoods, but did not happen. Will pick up some Allegheny to try shortly.

Ny burner , great now I don't know what to do. Think I'll stick with my plan and if nothing else I can rule the softs in or out

for what its worth...a lot of this seems stove and install dependent. I bought a thermocouple probe setup last season just so I could actually quantify what pellet and settings burned hotter. A lot of my findings seemed to be pretty much the exact opposite of conventional wisdom from this board. Not saying either way is 'right', just what happened in my case.

As for pellets.....see if you find some barefoots. Best pellet I have tried yet and about the going price for green team.

Give the SW a try and see how they do for you. They smell fantastic if nothing else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deezl Smoke
for what its worth...a lot of this seems stove and install dependent. I bought a thermocouple probe setup last season just so I could actually quantify what pellet and settings burned hotter. A lot of my findings seemed to be pretty much the exact opposite of conventional wisdom from this board. Not saying either way is 'right', just what happened in my case.

As for pellets.....see if you find some barefoots. Best pellet I have tried yet and about the going price for green team.

Give the SW a try and see how they do for you. They smell fantastic if nothing else.
SW ? I did the same thing last year with a infra red temp gauge and monitored my settings vs the pellet types from the box stores and there was huge difference between brands. One thing I did find , with my stove I need to run the feed about 7 and blower on 3 on colder days. If I run the temp hotter it just piles up faster and if I run the blower to fast it seems like it looses heat on convection.

sorry, SW = softwood pellets.

yeah, def need to just find the sweet spot for your setup. Also, the stove at some point will reach a point where the heat exchangers are maxxed out and running any bigger/hotter of a fire is purely wasted.

I bought Easy Blaze softwoods this summer from the papelletguy.com located in Quakertown, PA @240 /ton. This is the first time I am trying softwoods.

I bought Easy Blaze softwoods this summer from the papelletguy.com located in Quakertown, PA @240 /ton. This is the first time I am trying softwoods.
Do you have an address for this guy? Has anyone had any experience with the easy blaze

I have never burned them but read mostly good about them.

I have also bought from papelletguy. Nice guy, great pricing. I burned about 1/2 ton of the Easy Blaze last year. I have the 100% softwwoods. Easy Blaze has 2 different types of pellets, a 100% softwood and a softwood blend. If papelletguy has the 100%softwoods for $240 per ton, that's a great price.

Just one more question about soft wood pellets . I'm gonna pic up a ton but since they are soft wood will they burn faster then the hardwood pellets resulting in the ton not lasting as long ?

If they put out more heat/ton... they should last longer
for the same amount of heat....
A ton is a ton.
The one that puts out the most heat, wins.

I have little experience with softwoods but I never noticed a usage difference when I did burn them.

Let us know what you end up with and what your impression is after you get a good handle on how they perform. A lot of us are still experimenting!

A thermocouple probe sounds a lot more accurate than an IR thermometer for this task (which is what I use... I usually run it along the top of the stove - where the air comes out - and take the highest reading). If I may, what thermocouple probe setup did you go with, and where did you position the thermocouple? I see some seemingly inexpensive ones on Amazon (thermometer and probe for around $25 together). Would they work?

Thanks!

SW ?run the feed about 7 and blower on 3 .

Didn't think you could do that with the PDV25. I thought that you could go no lower on the fan setting than what was on the feed setting. As for the burn pot filling up with pellets, the PDV25s just kinda burn that way.

Didn't think you could do that with the PDV25. I thought that you could go no lower on the fan setting than what was on the feed setting. As for the burn pot filling up with pellets, the PDV25s just kinda burn that way.
For whatever reason mine does

For whatever reason mine does

Yes, the stove will allow it but the prevailing opinion among 25-PDV users on this here forum is to not run the blower on a lower number than the feed setting/heat range. The thought is doing this reduces over all efficiency by sending more heat out of the vent pipe rather than into your home. The faster the blower blows the more heat is removed from the stove and blown into your home. For what it's worth, I keep my blower on 9 at all times, regardless of the heat range. Running the blower on a lower setting will certainly make the air blowing out warmer but the over all quantity of heat will be lower. I haven't actually tested it with thermometers and stuff, but it seems to make sense.

I also used to have problems with the pot filling up with pellets. After much searching I found users around here are blocking the holes found below the wear plate temporarily with steel wool or in more permanent ways. Here's what I did to solve that issue: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/englander-pdv-25-steel-wool-mod.151866/page-4#post-2047220 From another post of mine from last year: "From my research around here I found out that those holes (and the corresponding ones above the wear plate) allow additional air to move around the fire. This lowers the stoves overall emissions by allowing clean air to move around the fire and go out the vent. Essentially, this leaves more soot in the stove as opposed to exiting the stove via the vent pipe. This design allows the stove to pass EPA testing. Plugging those holes forces all the air through the wear plate allowing the pellets to burn completely. So give that a try if you'd like. You'll probably see a night and day difference just like I did. With this modifications, even the Green Supremes burned pretty well."

As an update, my quarters and stove cement are holding up fine.

So, if you haven't already, I'd give that a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.