Q&A Pellet vent pipe almost burned down house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just moved into an apartment that has a top-feed pellet stove. I also received no instructions on its use, though there is a brief manual stickered to the hopper lid. Seeing no warnings against it, I couldn't resist throwing in some peanut shells, newspaper, and other odds and ends occasionally. I know, I know, I'm an idiot. I only did this for a couple of days, because suddenly the flue pipe grew VERY hot -- the galvanization actually turned from shiny silver to flat gray, and smoke poured out from the pipe joints. I thought I was a goner; I shut the stove down immediately and ran outside to see if the outlet pipe was spewing flame; it wasn't. Everything cooled down all right, thankfully, and I haven't had a problem since, sticking now just to pellets.

My question is, do I need to have someone come in and clean the exhaust pipe? Could a little non-pellet fuel cause a dangerous creosote build-up? I think what happened was that I just started a smoke fire, and as long as I burn nothing but pellets I'll be all right. But I'm still pretty paranoid about the stove; I'd hate to let it burn unattended. What do you think?

Answer:

Yes, it sounds like you had a chimney fire in your Pellet Vent. This is a rare occurrence, because Pellets burn very hot and produce almost no creosote. I also think your problem related to the burning of other fuels.....newspaper? How the heck did you get that stuff in there? I mean, I can see the peanut shells, but not the newspaper. All kidding aside, there were some pellets I once had that were made from peanut hulls. They had a high ash content and only burned in certain models of stoves. You should burn only premium pellets. YOu should also contact the maker of the stove to get a manual. In addition, it would not be a bad idea to have the stove and installation checked and cleaned by a sweep or dealer who was familiar with the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.