Pellets from coffee grounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fsappo

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 9, 2008
Central NY
I just say about 10 pounds of coffee pellets. The person who brought them in ends up with about 3 million pounds of used grounds per year. He should be bringing in 20 pounds or so for me to run thru the Europa real fast. There was a thread here 6 months ago or so where someone was discussing this. I tried "Coffee" in the search box and couldnt find it. Any clues?

The old Franks!

I remember reading somewhere that Brazil started running their steam locomotives on coffee beans during the Great Depression as they hadn't really developed their coal mining yet and the coffee markets had collapsed. Sounds interesting!

Hey franks!

The thread was originally about grass pellets, But we also got side tracked on the coffee-java pellets. It started about here in the grass thread. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50637/P110/#576178

DJ could not get lock up with the coffee sample we brought due to too much moisture. So DJ added grass(timothy that is) to the coffee grounds. Interested in what you guys get from them coffee grounds! :)

No problem! Carefull when you smell them you might start craving "DONUTS"! hehe!!!! :cheese:

Very curious on how things go. I had high hopes for them, But things didn't work out.

The advertisement. says, "America runs on Dunkin'"

Maybe Keurig will sell them in little plastic containers and charge x5 what they would be in bulk. I even saw instant coffee in K cups!

thedude110 said:
Can you imagine the cost of Starbucks pellets? Mercy.

they wouldn't work because the beans are already burnt to heck!

tjnamtiw said:
thedude110 said:

Actually, since grounds have already been "charred", they are even better at burning and for BTU output. The ones I burned gave off good heat.

imacman said:
tjnamtiw said:
thedude110 said:

Actually, since grounds have already been "charred", they are even better at burning and for BTU output. The ones I burned gave off good heat.

We would have seen more if we had dried the grounds and could have used wood fiber instead of grass to get them to lock up(bind). Sure was fun trying though! :)

j-takeman said:
imacman said:
tjnamtiw said:
thedude110 said:

We would have seen more if we had dried the grounds and could have used wood fiber instead of grass to get them to lock up(bind). Sure was fun trying though! :)

Yep, it was quite interesting. I still remember watching as the stove was trying to ignite them.....I didn't think it would, but suddenly "let there be light!"...pretty cool.

Yep, we just didn't get the right "binder" in with them.

That's got to smell horrilble!

There is a coffee roaster place a few miles from my house, everytime I drive by and they are roasting the coffee I almost vomit.

Nothing close to that, More like smelling a fresh brewed pot in the morning, Maybe a tad stronger?? I actually liked the smell when DJ was running the mill. Once milled they didn't smell strong at all. But we had just a small volume(2- 5 gallon pails).

I love chocolate, But when I went to Hershey. I was over powered by the smell. Took a while before I craved chocolate again.

Watch out for Starbucks if it works they will charge 10 bucks for every forty pound bag and market to be trendy.

imacman said:
tjnamtiw said:
thedude110 said:

Yea, you are actually burning charcoal, come to think about it. One other point is that you would drive your neighbors nuts smelling coffee roasting just as I used to drive my neighbors nuts cooking steaks and pork chops over my wood fire!

Yup that was fun. Gotta dry the grounds. Wish I had more time I would try to do more of that kind of stuff. I actually began making a big tray to sun dry the grounds and have a few 55 gal. drums for storage. Oh well maybe next year.

Schoondog

That wouldn't be too bad then. The smell from teh roaster is hard to explain but it's about 10x worse than coffee that has been sitting in the pot on teh burner for a couple days would taste like. The bosses at work are horrible about that... have left it going through a 3 day weekend before and stank up the whole building.

j-takeman said:
Nothing close to that, More like smelling a fresh brewed pot in the morning, Maybe a tad stronger?? I actually liked the smell when DJ was running the mill. Once milled they didn't smell strong at all. But we had just a small volume(2- 5 gallon pails).

I love chocolate, But when I went to Hershey. I was over powered by the smell. Took a while before I craved chocolate again.

Yaa...you betcha we like dem coffee pellets...

Attachments

• Pellets from coffee grounds
    mrs olsen.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 318
Status
Not open for further replies.