Pellets & Pricing for New Hampshire / New England Area

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DBNH22

Feeling the Heat
Mar 17, 2013
NH
Hi guys:

This will be my first winter heating with pellets as I am having a pellet boiler installed in the next several weeks. I had started a previous thread asking for pellet brand recommendations but since then I've called around and got pricing on the different brands in my area. I figured I'd get more responses to this with a new thread. Hope no one minds.

Here's what is available in my general area: Prices indicate per ton, are the lowest I came across and do not include delivery.

Curran $259 w/ 2 tons or more
New England 259
Okanagen 319
Vermont 279
Black Hills 279
Boundary Bay 269
LG Granules 279
Cleanfire hardwood 269
Maine's Choice 239
Cleanfire Douglas Fir 333
Green Team 274 (Lowes)
Green Supreme 234 (Lowes)

I have read about but have not been able to find the following brands in my area

Somerset
Hamer's
Turman

Please let me know of your experiences with any of the above and what you'd recommend.

Thanks

I've burned Green Teams and Green Supreme. The Green Teams I burned 2 years ago and have read they quality goes up and down. I burned 4 tons of the green supreme's last year and they are ok. I contacted the company and they are just re bagged NE wood pellets. They have a good amount of ash in my stove, but all stoves are different. When I do buy the green supreme's I try to get them from the Jaffery NH plant, as I have found they have less ash and dust in the bag compared to the NY plant. I am guessing this is mainly from shipping. I really want to try the Vermont's and might get a ton of them this year. They get rave reviews from a couple of people I know around me that burn them. I've attached the email below so you can check it out.

Dear Jake,

Thank you for contacting Green Supreme Premium Pellet Fuel. It is great to hear that you use our product. The pellets are, in fact, produced by New England Wood Pellet LLC and are identical to the New England Premium Wood Pellets. They are produced at each of our three manufacturing plants and the only way to determine from which plant is to find its bag code.

The bag codes can be difficult to find, as they are clear, stamped numbers (not printed with ink). The codes consist of two rows of four numbers. Each number appears to be formed by tiny raised dots. On bags from our Jaffrey, NH Plant, the code is located on the front side in the upper left corner. On bags from our Schuyler, NY and Deposit, NY Plants, they are located on the back side in the upper left corner. I’ve attached two photos as examples (in each photo I traced the code in pen). You will need to hold the bag under a direct light to locate the code. I find it easier to locate codes on empty bags.

Please let me know if you have additional questions.

Best regards,
Alyson

www.greensupremewoodpellets.info
Green Supreme Premium Pellet Fuel

Reactions: jtakeman
assuming the black hills are the Oakangan black hills...) black hills for that price is a steal (300 around here). all day.

Of the brands you have listed:
New England - below average
Okanagan - Good Pellet but overpriced IMHO
LG Granules - Decent but very expensive
Maines Choice - Good for the $
Green Team - Good but
Green Supreme - Below average (same as NEWP)
Somersets - Awesome but becoming expensive
Turmans and Hamers - Awesome but expensive

Thanks guys. I have heard people rave about the Vermont pellets however the dealer charging $279 per ton also wants to charge me $85 for delivery so if I bought 3 tons of Vermont from them the price would actually be $303 per ton.

I don't have a truck to pick them up myself. My brother has a pickup which he'd help me pick up a ton at a time but that would only be for the dealrs within a ten mile radius of my house which the one with the Vermont for $279 isn't. The three dealers near my home have the Curran for 259 for 2 tons or 249 for 3 tons, the Vermont for $294, the Okanagen for $299 and the Boundary Bay for $269.

The Black Hills I got pricing are the Okanagan black hills and there dilivery charge is actually cheaper than most places. It's only $40 so if I got three tons of Black hills delivered I'd be paying $294, the same as I'd be paying to pick up the Vermont a ton at a time from the closer dealer.

Like I said the boiler is new so before I commit to buying 3-4 tons I want to try a few different brands to see which work best. Does anyone ahve any experience with the Curran? I was hoping they're good because the dealer is very close and if I buy three tons I can pick them up and only pay $750.

that's a great price for the black hills delivered. I wouldn't hesitate, yet I understand the want to try more bags.

id say order those tonnage, and pick up a few misc bags of other stuff as you see it throughout the season (not in tons) and then see that I was right :)

Briansol do you burn primarily the Black Hills? Have you ever burned the Curran, Boundary Bay or Vermont? Just curious if you've done a compare contrast yourself.

I've never burned those-- I've yet to see them for sale near by. but I did burn their other white bag okanagans a few years back and they are still the hottest pellet I've burned to date. jtakeman did a review on them. other than the douglass fir oakies, which own everything in his tests, they are above the mean in just about everthing, and once you factor in the price, it's a no brainer to me.
I did a little shoot out a while back with 'industry standard' good pellets that year:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-top-3-shoot-out-hamer-hot-ones-vs-cubex-vs-oakangan.56377/

newp's suck. worst pellet I've ever burned to be honest. GS is the same thing re-branded for big-box.
maines choice is not what I want in my stove in january...

GTeams have a good rep as a shoulder pellet (fall/spring). I've never used them.
lgs/cleanfres are middle of the road to better, but the price point isn't warranted.

vermonts are good, I've burned those. but for the money, the black hills take the cake on that list IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.