PELPRO PP60

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tjh

Dec 18, 2019
iowa
MY PELPRO PP60 starts fine runs 5 to 20 minutes (never the same) then goes into shut down mode , Pulling my hair out what is the problem? Replaced dial control last season worked great after that .

Reactions: 2TwistedSis
Welcome to the forum
From the manual
Fire starts but goes out Firepot is dirty Exhaust path and/or venting is plugged Exhaust sensor cannot read correct temperature Exhaust path is dirty Exhaust probe is not attached to outlet Exhaust probe is not plugged in to the board Exhaust probe is defective (error code may result) Clean fi repot. Check fl ue vent for obstruction Inspect and clean exhaust path and venting clean fi rebox including behind the baffl es Inspect and clean the exhaust outlet especially the right side wall. Remove the right side panel and inspect to see if the exhaust probe is attached and tight against the exhaust outlet Plug the probe into the board Replace the exhaust probe

Manual

Welcome to the forum
From the manual
Fire starts but goes out Firepot is dirty Exhaust path and/or venting is plugged Exhaust sensor cannot read correct temperature Exhaust path is dirty Exhaust probe is not attached to outlet Exhaust probe is not plugged in to the board Exhaust probe is defective (error code may result) Clean fi repot. Check fl ue vent for obstruction Inspect and clean exhaust path and venting clean fi rebox including behind the baffl es Inspect and clean the exhaust outlet especially the right side wall. Remove the right side panel and inspect to see if the exhaust probe is attached and tight against the exhaust outlet Plug the probe into the board Replace the exhaust probe

Manual
This is exactly the issue I had with my PP130 last winter. Here is my thread on it and also another thread from a person earlier this year that had this issue. It sounds like there are a few things it could be, but nothing too difficult to trouble shoot and repair. Let us know what the fix turns out to be.

Welcome to the forum
From the manual

Manual
I vac after every fire and I mean every fire and remove baffles , clean chimney before season starts, but have not removed exhaust fan to clean . when it does run for hours if I turn dial control down say from 4 to 3 it will go to shut down mode ,amber light starts blinking . Other wise no red codes

no red codes , when I turn dial down a little ( say from 3 to 2 ) it will go to shut down mode (amber light blinks ) sometimes I get lucky and it burns all day
In the 2nd thread I linked it talks about other items that could cause this type of behavior. The vac switch and the lid switch. Both would stop the auger from feeding and would cause it to go out. Both are easy to get at and test.

Since there are no red codes blinking I wonder if the unit thinks it is working correctly. There is a temperature sensor that tells it what to do as far as ramp up/down and to shut off completely. Maybe it is faulty some how?

What color is the blinking light after it completely shuts off?

The temp sensor is also a proof of fire switch.
If it does not get hot enough at startup or is insulated in ash
or is unplugged after the start-up period the stove shuts down
not to overfeed the burn pot
Most stoves time out at 15 min.

In the 2nd thread I linked it talks about other items that could cause this type of behavior. The vac switch and the lid switch. Both would stop the auger from feeding and would cause it to go out. Both are easy to get at and test.

Since there are no red codes blinking I wonder if the unit thinks it is working correctly. There is a temperature sensor that tells it what to do as far as ramp up/down and to shut off completely. Maybe it is faulty some how?

What color is the blinking light after it completely shuts off?
it blinks amber as in the shut down mode then when fans shut off it blinks green, some times it will run for 2 -3 hrs other times it runs till I shut it down

MY PELPRO PP60 starts fine runs 5 to 20 minutes (never the same) then goes into shut down mode , Pulling my hair out what is the problem? Replaced dial control last season worked great after that .
Thanks every one for your input , I removed and cleaned the exhaust fan still had my problem. I finally found the problem there is none ,I read the manual on page 7 under4)COMFORT LEVEL it explains the problem I thought I had. So I tried it out waited for the stove to shut down like it has been , when it did I left the dial control alone and when stove completely shutoff I held a ice pad to the temp. wire and I'll be damned if the stove didn't start on it's own like it's supposed to. MIND BLOWN when it say's read manual you really should read it.

I held a ice pad to the temp. wire and I'll be damned if the stove didn't start on it's own like it's supposed to. MIND BLOWN when it say's read manual you really should read it.
We have the same stove so I'll tuck this trick in my back pocket.

However, you shouldn't have to hold ice up to a temp sensor to get the stove to run... Sounds like poor design.

Reactions: 2TwistedSis
We have the same stove so I'll tuck this trick in my back pocket.

However, you shouldn't have to hold ice up to a temp sensor to get the stove to run... Sounds like poor design.

I think he means that the stove reached the temperature/comfort level set on the dial so the stove shut off. Then when a room tempature drop wis simulates by putting an ice pack on the probe the stove started back up as designed.

If you want the stove to run and not shut off you would set the dial on either low or high.

Reactions: tjh
Thanks every one for your input , I removed and cleaned the exhaust fan still had my problem. I finally found the problem there is none ,I read the manual on page 7 under4)COMFORT LEVEL it explains the problem I thought I had. So I tried it out waited for the stove to shut down like it has been , when it did I left the dial control alone and when stove completely shutoff I held a ice pad to the temp. wire and I'll be damned if the stove didn't start on it's own like it's supposed to. MIND BLOWN when it say's read manual you really should read it.
Reminds me of people and new cars. How many people bother to read the owners manual? Not many from what I can surmise. Like my signature line says, owners manuals are for lighting the first fire...lol

Reactions: tjh
I think that you can undo the wire inside the cabinet and move that sensor out away from the stove a bit if that helps with a better reading. Or you can look into a pellet miser and have a separate stat entirely if thats a better way for you to run your stove.

Thanks for posting… I put ice/cold on the exhaust sensor (not the comfort) and it kept the stove from shutting off
THANKS 🔥

Thanks for posting… I put ice/cold on the exhaust sensor (not the comfort) and it kept the stove from shutting off
THANKS 🔥

You put ice on the exhaust sensor? The one that is attached to the outside of the exhaust fan motor? If so, I don’t see how this would keep it running.

The OP thought the stove cycling was an issue, but then realized it was acting as designed. Putting ice in the comfort air temp sensor simulated the air temp dropping and cause the stove to kick back on.

Reactions: Mt Bob