PP130 lighting but Ignition Failure code

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeremy6500

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2021
Indiana
Figure I would type this up incase anyone else has this issue.

About a week ago after cleaning my PP130 I noticed it would light, go out and throw an ignition failure code. If I cycled it a few time I could usually get it to register and start feeding pellets. I had shop vacced out the firebox really well and gotten as far back towards the exhaust fan as I could. I had also pulled the cap off the end of the exhaust vent (it is about 24" straight through the wall) and shop vacced out from that end. Since I figured everything was clean I decided it was the exhaust temperature sensor that presses up against the outside of the exhaust pipe right where the exhaust fan is at . It was a $15 part, but with single digit temps I needed it right away so I paid the $35 for overnight shipping. It arrived, I installed it and still had the issue. I remembered reading about how ash acts like insulation and cuts down efficiency, so I went ahead and pulled the exhaust fan thinking maybe there was ash that was not letting the heat transfer to the sensor fast enough to register the first time. . Sure enough there was a nice layer of ash caked on the inside of the exhaust fan box. Used a flathead screwdriver to scrape it all clean and now the stove is back to running like a champ.

I will just chalk it up to a $50 lesson learned and I now have a spare exhaust temp sensor.

Hopefully if someone else here has this issue they will find this thread and save the $50.

thanks Jeremy. Believe me when i say we all appreciate that post. i know most come here looking for help and the first thing we ask is "when was the last time it was thoroughly cleaned" and they probably role their eyes and say its clean as a whistle, only thing is, it isn't really clean lol. and so we have to take their word and run with it. usually it ends up being more money spent on their part than what really need to be but they usually find out the same way you did. so thanks bud good to know your warm and all is good

Figure I would type this up incase anyone else has this issue.

About a week ago after cleaning my PP130 I noticed it would light, go out and throw an ignition failure code. If I cycled it a few time I could usually get it to register and start feeding pellets. I had shop vacced out the firebox really well and gotten as far back towards the exhaust fan as I could. I had also pulled the cap off the end of the exhaust vent (it is about 24" straight through the wall) and shop vacced out from that end. Since I figured everything was clean I decided it was the exhaust temperature sensor that presses up against the outside of the exhaust pipe right where the exhaust fan is at . It was a $15 part, but with single digit temps I needed it right away so I paid the $35 for overnight shipping. It arrived, I installed it and still had the issue. I remembered reading about how ash acts like insulation and cuts down efficiency, so I went ahead and pulled the exhaust fan thinking maybe there was ash that was not letting the heat transfer to the sensor fast enough to register the first time. . Sure enough there was a nice layer of ash caked on the inside of the exhaust fan box. Used a flathead screwdriver to scrape it all clean and now the stove is back to running like a champ.

I will just chalk it up to a $50 lesson learned and I now have a spare exhaust temp sensor.

Hopefully if someone else here has this issue they will find this thread and save the $50.
Hi,

I started another thread about my PP 60 not able to maintain a burn at LO for extended period of time. I read your thread and removed the exhaust fan and took a picture of the fan case. As you can see, the two screws are what is holding the sensor to the exhaust pipe. The sensor is on the other side of the pipe wall and I don't see how the ash would interfere with the sensor.

Regardless I scraped the pipe wall anyways. Not sure if this will do anything though.

IMG_20220101_184244133.jpg

Hi,

I started another thread about my PP 60 not able to maintain a burn at LO for extended period of time. I read your thread and removed the exhaust fan and took a picture of the fan case. As you can see, the two screws are what is holding the sensor to the exhaust pipe. The sensor is on the other side of the pipe wall and I don't see how the ash would interfere with the sensor.

Regardless I scraped the pipe wall anyways. Not sure if this will do anything though.

View attachment 288910

After the stove lights, the sensor reads the change in the temp of the exhaust fan housing to verify a flame. If memory serves, it reads a rate of temperature change during the ignition cycle……the ash build up on the inside of the housing acts as insulation so it didn’t sense the temp changing fast enough and it would think the stove didn’t light.

Not sure if cleaning it would fix your issue, but it wouldn’t hurt. I would suggest adjusting the trip setting as well. 3 bags shouldn’t be enough to build up ash to the point of insulation.