Penn royal wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dgeissinger

Mar 3, 2019
Liverpool
Can anyone tell me what material my penn royal model 3407 wood boiler is made of, ive searched and been unsuccessful. Just need to know if it is a cast, alloy, or steel? Thanks in advance!

Can anyone tell me what material my penn royal model 3407 wood boiler is made of, ive searched and been unsuccessful. Just need to know if it is a cast, alloy, or steel? Thanks in advance!
Post a pic

Screenshot_20190304-154357_Gallery.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190304-154401_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190304-154401_Gallery.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 288
Last edited by a moderator:
That looks to be a plate steel stove with cast iron doors. The dead giveaway is the welds . Cast iron isn't routinely welded. Looks like a fisher clone with hot water jacket and possibly a hot water coil. I seriously doubt its any sort of special alloy realizing that all steel is an alloy. Expect its just low grade boiler plate. I have seen a couple of homemade versions over the years. They work well as long as there is circulation through the jackets and properly located safety reliefs on the piping.. They can be a bomb if they are full of water and allowed to boil with valves closed (like any boiler).

Last edited: