Pennington Natures Heat are trash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ChrisWNY said:
I have bought the Penningtons from Walmart when I've been in a pinch for more bags, I usually nab 10-15 at a time and throw them in the back of my truck. I had one batch that had a lot of fines in the bags but they burned clean and hot, the 2nd batch I bought last year burned VERY well, no fines in the bag and the pellets had a darker brown color to them, that batch was as good as any I've burned. Pennington has claimed to have a new pellet mill up and running and that they've sorted out the problems from their earlier production batches from 2009/2010. I haven't bought any Penningtons this year (yet) but noticed my Walmart had them last time I was there, so I might grab 5 or 6 bags to see how they do this year.

PJ - how have those Allegheny pellets burned for you? My parents (they live just South of Jamestown, NY) used to burn those in their pellet stove and they had some really dirty batches (this was 5-10 years ago), just wondering if they've gotten better over the years.

The Allegheny pellets have been my favorite so far. They've burned hot and seem clean to me so far. I hope it stays that way. I really like them.

I purchased 4 bags of Pennington Natures Heat from Wally's and they burned beautifully and hot in my Harman P61. The owner's manual of stove states the stove can burn any quality pellet and still give good results. I went back today and bought ton more and I have to say I could not be more pleased. My glass is nice and clean, nice fine ash and the house is uncomfortably hot.

Well, here's my 2 cents on this. I picked up 10 bags at Walmart over the weekend, at $5/bag. I thought it a little high as I have been paying 3.94 a bag for AWF at HD, but wanted to add to my collection and try whatever is available around here.

Without benefit of testing equipment these pellets seem nice and hot to me - hotter than the AWF. I do not see any unusual ash or clouding of my glass. The pellets are a dark brown color and had very little fines in the bag. However, I did note that the pellets are quite long - some as long as 2 inches. I will be doing my best to break them up a bit before putting more in the hopper.

I do think, however, that the high level of customer service from the Pennington company is worth mentioning. I called the 800 number on the bag this morning and explained the issue with pellet length. I was immediately offered a complete refund so long as I sent in 1 empty bag, a sample of the long pellets and the Walmart receipt. To me, that's good customer service, especially when they could simply have said return the unused bags to Walmart.

These bags list a Georgia address, although I was given a Missouri address to send my materials to.

Status
Not open for further replies.