Perfect day to process recent scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Petstang

Nov 11, 2016
Glastonbury CT
The town cut some trees in my Dads yard and I went and grabbed a load of maple. With the weather in CT approaching 50 on Saturday it was a perfect day to split and stack. This will be for the '18/'19 season.

Attachments

• IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_0272.JPG
    IMG_0272.JPG
    293.3 KB · Views: 317
Nice looking scrounge! Where did you get the Playskool splitter? I'd like to get one for my granddaughter. ==c

193334-1e4dc4647d332848b4aa26ef70eeedb0.jpg

Nice looking scrounge! Where did you get the Playskool splitter? I'd like to get one for my granddaughter. ==c

View attachment 193316

Now hang on there, I got at least 30 cords out of a nearly exactly matching model before I broke it. Unbelievable value for money. But brute force? No...

So what kind of a splitter is it, how big of a round can it cut, and how much does it cost?
Might be something good to have in the arsenal...

Reactions: HisTreeNut
Thanks! Saving coin for a small splitter. Seems scrounging is becoming quite the hobby for me. Starting the research & saving coin. Hope to eventually get something the wifey and older kiddos [teenagers] will feel comfortable using. Most appreciated.

Thanks! Saving coin for a small splitter. Seems scrounging is becoming quite the hobby for me. Starting the research & saving coin. Hope to eventually get something the wifey and older kiddos [teenagers] will feel comfortable using. Most appreciated.

This "wifey" loves the Homelite splitter. My oldest is nine, and she has helped me with splitting and stacking for a couple of years now (never on her own). My husband loves to use an axe, but he still has to split larger rounds for me. He bucks and splits in quarters if necessary. I split to stove size (not too large since we have a lot of oak). My daughter loves to help. We emphasize safety and respect for the danger, and we are pleased with the investment.

That is nice, but what I like even more is the scenery, is that a park next door to your stacks? Looks like water down below too?