Petrified ash cakes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RandyBoBandy

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2015
Whitmore lake, MI
So I was sifting through the ash in my stove the other day looking for some hidden coals to help relight with and I came across this. A large fused together cake of ash. It is rather hard and odd. Made thing of lava rock. Anyone have any suggestions as to how and why?

Attachments

• IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 132
That's a clinker, sometimes wood has absorbed minerals and once burned they fuse together, I get those from time to time.

I get them too after not cleaning out for a while. Didn't really think much of it quite honestly.

Clinkers are mostly inert minerals in the wood that have reached high enough temperature that they have partially fused. They are a minor annoyance for woodstove owners but a potentially a big PITA in a power boiler. The clinker can form on the steam generating surfaces forming insulation between the hot gases and the tubes. On trash burners the clinker will adhere to the tubes so tightly that explosive are used to remove it.