Rawhide13 Posted By Rawhide13, Jul 18, 2018 at 4:58 PM

1. Rawhide13

Rawhide13
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2018
    Loc:
    WI
    Has anyone had experience with heated floor tubing? A friend of mine said he bought Pex al pex 1/2 Watts brand tubing for his floor and said he bought it because the store he got it from only sells to contractors so it must be good quality. I looked up the price and it's $450 a roll of 1000' which compared to other brands I'm finding for $260 per roll but not watts brand seems like a big increase. Thoughts on if brand name really makes a difference in the tubing quality? Thanks

2. mark cline

mark cline
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 20, 2012
    Loc:
    Cattaraugus, NY
    PEX AL is a great product for retrofit and new construction in floor heating . Pex AL has an aluminum liner to transfer heat more efficiently than regular pex. Also it is constructed to be an oxygen barrier tubing, which is needed in a closed heating system. Regular pex is good but pex al is the better choice.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rawhide13

Rawhide13
    New Member 2.
    NULL

Jul 18, 2018
    Loc:
    WI
    But does it matter the brand? Some brands are twice as expensive . Is there really that much difference?

4. Highbeam

Highbeam
    Minister of Fire 2.
    NULL

Dec 28, 2006
    Loc:
    Mt. Rainier Foothills, WA
    I chose to install oxygen barrier heating pex and not the pex-al-pex. I couldn't see any good reason to pay more for the aluminum layer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. E Yoder

E Yoder
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 27, 2017
    Loc:
    Floyd, VA
    I've used thousands of feet of Pex B (not Pex Al Pex) of various brands with no issues. Not saying PAP is a bad choice though.

6. eauzonedan

eauzonedan
    Member 2.
    NULL

Jan 21, 2011
    Loc:
    Bayfield Co. Wi
    When I installed my Warmboard - pexalpex was recommended by Warmboard and I used it. My brother in law used non pexalpex. His Warmboard sounds like popcorn as it warms—— mine is dead silent. Once it’s bent - pexalpex doesn’t try to straighten which makes it stay put better. Unsure of current Warmboard recommendations- and also note the few o-ring style fittings you are supposed to use- are more expensive with the Wirsbo pexalpex. Dan