PEX Plumbing for home system

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
there is a reason I have a manifold of all my shutoff valves in one spot, in addition to at the fixtures:
View attachment 241219

I also have it set up so I have a shutoff above my hose connections, and a drain below, so I can shut them off and drain them if need be. This has come in handy a few times!
Nice setup. My system is not nearly as neat as I tried to reuse as much of my old copper stuff as I could after relocating our well tank and water heater.

there is a reason I have a manifold of all my shutoff valves in one spot, in addition to at the fixtures:
View attachment 241219

I also have it set up so I have a shutoff above my hose connections, and a drain below, so I can shut them off and drain them if need be. This has come in handy a few times!
What is that grey box with the 3 electrical lines running to it?

Pex has been used for a long time in Europe with no problems before it came here. I just redid our whole house by myself in a weekend. No way I could do that with copper. And now I have a manifold which reduces pressure drop when using more than one fixture
What manifold did you use? Does it have valves?

Yes it does I don't remember the brand. I can look when I get home
Thanks
Did you run 3/4" and then take 1/2" to each appliance?

Thanks
Did you run 3/4" and then take 1/2" to each appliance?
Yes 3/4 comes to the manifold comes out the bottom to the water heater then back in the bottom. Everything else is 1/2"

Yes 3/4 comes to the manifold comes out the bottom to the water heater then back in the bottom. Everything else is 1/2"
All home runs, or did you run trunks?

All home runs, or did you run trunks?
Amost all home runs. I ran the toilets off the cold to the bathroom sinks everything else is home run

Amost all home runs. I ran the toilets off the cold to the bathroom sinks everything else is home run
That's exactly what I have in mind. Is there much if any pressure drop if toilet is flushed during shower?

That's exactly what I have in mind. Is there much if any pressure drop if toilet is flushed during shower?

We have basically the same setup, with the manifold. Toilets are not noticeable for us.

Nope not much at all. With a pressure balancing shower valve you don't notice it at all.

Thanks gentlemen. It's on the long list of projects to be done...

View attachment 241219

Looks like the Tempra Plus 24? I have one in my house. I keep the temperature at 110, and it does fine. Almost 9 years old now.

Looks like the Tempra Plus 24? I have one in my house. I keep the temperature at 110, and it does fine. Almost 9 years old now.
Yeah, they have changed names a few times. This was an aquapower 24 DHE, with the internal regulator to control output at constant temp. We are going on 4 years, set at 123°.

We had a manifold by some European company, but it didn't come with the fittings, so we made our own with the copper.

Last edited:
Reactions: vinny11950
Mine is a view manabloc.
IMG_20190225_174247.jpg

Mine is a view manabloc.
View attachment 241422
that was the same one that I originally had. I made the mistake of not ordering the inlet fittings, and also was not a huge fan of the plastic threads. Our water is pretty hard, and manages to eat away at everything faster than I would like.

I also really liked having a big shut off handle for each valve.

that was the same one that I originally had. I made the mistake of not ordering the inlet fittings, and also was not a huge fan of the plastic threads. Our water is pretty hard, and manages to eat away at everything faster than I would like.

I also really liked having a big shut off handle for each valve.
I have installed 15 or 20 of them over the past 8 or 9 years with no problems. And honestly the plastic should hold up better than metal to bad water

I have installed 15 or 20 of them over the past 8 or 9 years with no problems. And honestly the plastic should hold up better than metal to bad water

it probably should, I just find that everything in my house that is plastic with our water has to be replaced more frequently. I went 15 years without ever having to replace a toilet flange, but when I moved to golden, it was every 3 years.

maybe they are using all of the good water for coors.... :D

Reactions: bholler
Call me in 70 years, we'll see how it's doing next to my brass and copper, much of which is already 30+ years old.

Call me in 70 years, we'll see how it's doing next to my brass and copper, much of which is already 30+ years old.
It will be fine. I tore out a bunch of 30 yr old copper with leaky shutoffs and lots of internal corrosion.