PF100 QUESTIONS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nnysnowbelt

Feb 26, 2014
lowville ny
I am looking at getting a pf100 for my 1900 square foot ranch in northern ny. Just wondering how many tons you guys go through with your pf100.

I had a PF100 at my last house (which I still own but rent out). It was installed in 2006 IIRC -- the first year there were LOTS of glitches as it was a pretty new technology back then, but after that it pretty much "settled in" and was my primary source of heat for that house (a 1,500-square-foot ranch) until I bought a different house in 2012. My tenants have been using it ever since and it has generally worked very well (although I also had an oil tank installed for when they go out of town).

I went through 4.5 to 6 tons of pellets a year. Our winters in New Hampshire are probably colder/snowier (is that a word?) than yours in New Jersey, but OTOH for the past several years (until this year!!) our winters were relatively mild (then again, yours might have been as well). I kept my thermostat on 70 when I was at home (which included basically 24/7 from mid-December to mid-January, when we were on winter break) and 58-60 overnight (I like a cold house for sleeping). I had the furnace cleaned/serviced by my dealer every year (cost $100 to start but now it's $180 for that model). I definitely saved over oil but that's mostly because oil prices kept getting higher and higher and higher and pellet prices have gone up at a much smaller rate.

Oops, just saw northern NY, not NJ. (I need new glasses!) Hmmm, I suspect your winters are probably a bit WORSE than ours, not better, so I would add a ton to the numbers I gave in my last post.

Status
Not open for further replies.