PFERD - anybody used this thing?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog2o02

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
http://www.pferdusa.com/products/201b/201b01/201b010503P.html
cs_x.jpg

Yes- work for me , Stihl also has a copy.

So i found this... I think i need one of these.

got two, only 2months in, they work great, quick,accurate.
will assess better in a year
sk

From looking at the video, the weakness that immediately comes to mind is that the raker depth isn't progressive, so it will do a better job on newer chains than on older ones. It also looks like it requires a special proprietary raker file, but I'm not sure whether it's a traditional steel file or perhaps diamond-coated for longer life. And, it can't round over the leading edge of the raker, so you may need to do another step with another file anyhow.

I recently had a bad experience with an old Oregon sharpener I picked up at a garage sale. Like this gizmo, the Oregon sharpener held the file only at the ends. I tried it with a small-diameter file, and the problem was that the file deflected too much under pressure, and tended to deflect downward and hook the cutters too much. Maybe I was applying too much pressure, but it definitely wasn't as foolproof as it first appeared.

The wife bought me the Stihl version for my birthday. I used to take my chain in to the shop to have the chain profiled after around 2 trailer loads of cutting wood. I have now used the same chain on around 6 trailer loads by using this tool to keep the chain sharp. I try to use it after every tank of fuel and it takes me around 5 minutes to sharpen the chain.

I would recommend it.

I've had one for a couple of years and prefer it over other hand sharpeners I have tried. Very easy and fast. I have about 10 chains which I sharpen all at once on my grinder so that they all have even wear. Then during the year I touch up each chain about 3-5 times after each tank of gas with the Pferd. Then switch to another chain grinder sharpened. When all chains have been used, back to the grinder.

About the only shortcoming I have noticed is that the cutter files don't get used all the way to the ends and I probably have to change cutter files more often than simple hand filing where the whole file can be used. I bought my Husky 372XP in 2002. Still using the same set of 10 chains. I cut about 8 cords of firewood/year plus up to about 5000 board feet per year of logs for lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.