Pferd cs-x

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

weiland13

Jul 20, 2011
central wisconsin
Does anyone here use Pferd's cs-x chain file system? I just picked one up and just tried it out. My chain is a stihl rsc. This is the first time it has been sharpened, it only has 1.5 tanks of gas on it. It seems to have done a good job on the cutter tooth but didn't even touch the depth guides or rakers. In fact, it seems like the flat file is nearly .020" away from making contact. The file is the correct size and pitch for my chain so I know that is not the problem. I am also sure I am using it properly. What have you who have used these seen? Is this normal?

I have the older version with only one round file that you flip between sides. I always found that it starting taking some off the rakers right from the first sharpening. I've only sharpened Oregon full-chisel and Woodland Pro full and semi-chisel chain with it. Can you measure the raker setting from both your chain and the unit? One of them clearly isn't right. I do not recall what the Pferd is supposed to be set to.

Although the Pferd is a handy unit, I find that it's not idiot-proof enough to keep me from needing a touch-up on the grinder every so many hand sharpenings. I've had chain that looked and felt sharp to me that just would not cut until I did a grinder touch up. But again, that's just the cutters: I've always done all my rakers with the Pferd.

Status
Not open for further replies.