PH / IS run on Eco-Bricks?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Just a question to the Progress Hybrid and Ideal Steal owners, have you tried Eco-Bricks or other similar compressed sawdust blocks?

I ask because I am seriously contemplating upgraded to a PH or IS and this year due to my dwindling wood supply I found out about Eco-Bricks and am pretty happy with their performance and price. I figure they may become part of my normal routing & mix with cord wood. I could have missed it but I haven't seen it talked about. They are giving me longer burn time in my current stove, and if the same is true with the PH or IS I'd be more comfortable in believing upgrading to a Woodstock would give me long enough burns for my workday. I know some companies forbid the use of such products though.

I havnt used any yet in my PH but i have a pallet of them in my garage. Will do a burn with them tomorrow and let tou know how it goes. So far i have been burning a cord of mixed hardwood that is rather rotted/punky(about half the cord is bad half is "ok")and have been getting great results. Averaging around 12 hours for a low and slow work day/ overnight load, and averaging 4-5 hours for a hot and fast burn. I define my burn time as time the stove top is above 300F

Do Eco-bricks contain any of that nasty salt and other unspecified chemicals that they claim pallets and lumber contain. I would think it does.

Do Eco-bricks contain any of that nasty salt and other unspecified chemicals that they claim pallets and lumber contain. I would think it does.

Nope. Most of their content comes from saw dust from manufacturing.

Doesn't appear so. An excerpt from them for those that are unfamiliar...
http://www.ecobrick.net/home said:
Eco-Bricks are manufactured from 100% kiln dried hardwood lumber sawdust and compressed with 24,000 lbs pressure making them twice as dense as cordwood.

Eco Bricks are environmentally friendly, additive free pressed kiln dried hardwood sawdust bricks used for home heating fuel in wood burning stoves, wood burning fireplaces, outdoor fire pits, etc.

Rambler, let me know if you get a chance to try them.

If trying compressed fuel, start out conservatively, maybe only 2 bricks and see how they work. Too many bricks could outgas quckly if put in the stove loosely. That could cause a large secondary burn and overheat the stove. I'd also call Woodstock and ask what they think and if they have tested any compressed fuel products in their hybrid stoves.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
Status
Not open for further replies.